We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good family beaches in orange county

Amarillo, Tx
13 posts
Save Topic
good family beaches in orange county

We have a trip planned to disneyland in early June. We would like to spend one day at the beach. Does anyone know of a good clean family beach in orange county? I've been researching huntington beach. Is this a good choice? Help!!!

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good family beaches in orange county

I like Huntington Beach, although it can get very crowded. I also like Laguna as well as Redondo. If you have any teenagers that like to shop, Redondo has some great shops as well.

Mentioned in this post
Huntington Beach
Huntington Beach
Orange County, CA
So. Calif.
Level Contributor
544 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good family beaches in orange county

Laguna Beach is a great beach. There are little shops and restaurants to eat at when your done at the beach. Newport Beach and Huntington Beach are also good beaches with surfers and bikes to rent and places to eat. Huntington has hotels nearby if you're staying the night. Newport has a small carnival area with rides and places to eat and a ferry that takes you to Balboa Island. Newport and Huntington are closer to Anaheim.

Mentioned in this post
Laguna Beach
Laguna Beach
Orange County, CA
Newport Beach
Newport Beach
Orange County, CA
Huntington Beach
Huntington Beach
Orange County, CA
Anaheim, CA
Level Contributor
189 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: good family beaches in orange county

In early June keep in mind the water will be cold, probably around 60 F. Also, it is likely to be overcast most of the day and temps probalby in the low to mid 70s. It proabably wouldn't be too crowded, though, if you go on a weekday.

That said, Huntington Beach is a good choice. The original "Surf City USA", H. Beach has a Main St. where there are many restuarants and shops, as well as several wide, sandy beaches. It should be about a 30-35 minute drive (5 Fwy South to 22 Fwy West to Beach Blvd South).

Newport Beach is another good choice. Newport Beach has Balboa Island, which is a fun place to explore and even has a small ferry. Also, Balboa Fun Zone has lots of games for the kids and harbor cruises. Many fine restaurants are here, as well as a wide, sandy beach. And just south on the PCH is Crystal Cove state park and Corona del Mar, which offer a great beach environment and tidepools to explore. About a 35-40 minute drive, you can take 5 Fwy South to 55 Fwy South. Alternatively, you could take 5 Fwy South to Jamboree Rd South, then take that all the way, cross the PCH into Balboa Island, and take the aforementioned ferry.

Laguna Beach is a 30-35 minute drive (5 Fwy South to SR 133 South). There are lots of small inns and fine restaurants here, well as an art fair and other attractions. It sits on bluffs overlooking the ocean and is quite scenic. The beaches here are more narrow, since they are flanked by high cliffs.

Mentioned in this post
Huntington Beach
Huntington Beach
Orange County, CA
Surf City
Surf City
Topsail Island, NC
Newport Beach
Newport Beach
Orange County, CA
Laguna Beach
Laguna Beach
Orange County, CA
LA/OC
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: good family beaches in orange county

I think I can help you with this...

(Also please refer to my post response for "Orange County Beaches".) Having lived in LA/OC for 12 years and been on these beaches for the last 3 decades, I can access this for you.

Being stationed near Disneyland, I would recommend either Balboa Beach (at A & B street next to the park), Sunset Beach, Seal Beach or Belmont Shores. Easier access from car to beach, easier & cheaper parking, safer from the traffic, away from the cluttered toursit crowds, cleaner beaches than the state beaches which have that 'mixed' compose sand, if you know what I mean.

Huntington Beach is like Capistrano Beach-Doneny State Beach. It's right next to major traffic of PCH Hwy 1, hard to cross the street. Hard to find parking. It's paid parking. Can get windy and kick up the sand on the beach. It's not very quiet on the beach. And I wouldn't prefer to eat the beach concession stand food by choice.

Hope this helps...

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Seal Beach
Seal Beach
Orange County, CA
Huntington Beach
Huntington Beach
Orange County, CA
Amarillo, Tx
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: good family beaches in orange county

Thanks everyone for your responses. Let me add a little more information that might help narrow things down a little. We will have two children with us ages 5 and 9. We won't be doing much shopping and we aren't really lounge on the beach for hours type people. We mostly want a beach where the kids can find fun stuff to do like tide pools, exploring, neat play equipment, etc. We really don't want a place with carnival rides since we will be at disney the rest of the time. I'd appreciate any additonal info you can give me. Thanks again!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,333 posts
6,139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: good family beaches in orange county

Huntington Beach was a favorite of our familiy - its a great sandy beach, nice fishing pier to walk out on, and easy walking....Nice place for beach campfires. Snack bars, etc.

Its not really a place to do "tidal pool" or "playground equipment" but would be a pretty place to take pictures, enjoy a walk by the ocean, enjoy building a sand castle, enjoy a picnic lunch...

You might want to check out Doheny State Beach...

At the entrance to Doheny there is a visitor center with five aquariums, an indoor tide pool, exhibits, displays, gift shop, and photo history of Doheny surfing days.

Here's a web site that tells you more about the Beach Park

http://www.dohenystatebeach.org/

Other activities there include: camping, swimming, surfing, bicycling, picnic facilities, hiking, bird watching, tide pool exploration, diving, volleyball, kite flying, fishing, and more!

There are other beaches to explore near by...

Here's a good picture map to show the relations and also shows where playground equipment can be found at:

scchamber.com/html/bestbeachesguidemap.htm

Mentioned in this post
Huntington Beach
Huntington Beach
Orange County, CA
LA/OC
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: good family beaches in orange county

Ok... now that I know more about your priorities & concerns, here's what I suggest...

Go to Corona Del Mar State Beach.

(Expect crowds & parking wars on the weekends.)

hope this helps...