We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things you wouldn't leave home without.......

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Zealand
Level Contributor
469 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Things you wouldn't leave home without.......

Our family,( Mum, Dad, and 2 daughters 11 & 14) are visiting LA as part of a month long trip to USA in September.

I'd just be interested to know what items (aside from the usual clothes & toiletries) others have found to be especially useful on a trip such as this.

We're also driving up to San Francisco and then flying to Honolulu for some R & R on the way home.

Thanks to anyone who contributes. It's awesome how so many people are happy to share their knowledge and advice to make other people's holidays better!

W Virginia
Level Contributor
252 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Things you wouldn't leave home without.......

I wouldnt leave home without my Tweezerman's But the airport security dont let you take them , so I'd have to buy them as soon as we landed in the USA.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Things you wouldn't leave home without.......

When traveling with kids especially, I found it is very important to ensure you have phone numbers for medical insurance (whether it is through your employer or if you bought it through the travel agents). The second thing is to always carry a bottle of Tylenol (acetominophen).

Happy travels!

Invermere BC
Level Contributor
58 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things you wouldn't leave home without.......

Dear kiwi1

Hmmm.....sun screen, good walking shoes (don't break in a new pair on holiday!), my kids brought their discman/music cd's, camera/lots of film ( I am not a digital camera fan) make sure you don't pack it in your checked bagage though or your film will be ruined, small backpack for extra snacks and such for in the parks...better than a purse, few good books, a good attitude and patience..lolo. Hope you have alot of fun. It's wonderful you can spend so much time in California....Aloha also!

BCanadian

asia
Level Contributor
666 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things you wouldn't leave home without.......

I'd say, bring along the basic medications, especially when you've got kids with you. It's a HUGE hassle to see a doc during your vacation. Some countries have a long waiting queue. I am not sure about U.S. though. But in NZ, I had to go from clinic to clinic coz all refused to see patients without prior appointment, except one kind doc who relented.

Don't forget, if you're bringing tweezers, nail clippers etc, you must put them ALL in the CHECK-IN luggage, else they would be confiscated when you reach the customs, whether leaving from point of travel or on arrival.

Personally, I usually bring extra memory cards (if digital camera) or extra films (if using sLR). Coz it can be very expensive to buy from tourists locations. Batteries too.

San Leandro...
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things you wouldn't leave home without.......

kiwi,

Comfortable shoes - comfortable shoes - comfortable shoes

zbethg

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things you wouldn't leave home without.......

****Lots of patience!!! LOL**** Seriously, have fun!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
113 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things you wouldn't leave home without.......

I have never been to NZ so I am not sure what your coffee is like, but on our next trip to the USA we will definitely be bringing our own coffee!!!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
469 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things you wouldn't leave home without.......

Thanks for that aussiefamily! I didn't think of coffee, but wonder how you'd go bringing it into USA. Aren't they really tough on any food/drink items, even if sealed??

There are some sealed food/snack items I'd quite like to take but thought they just might create too many hassles, and it's a waste of money if they get confiscated!

Encinitas, CA
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things you wouldn't leave home without.......

I would just bring your favorite products, but have fun buying stuff that you can only buy here. Isn't that the fun of visiting another country? Stores here are vast and will carry everything that you could need . But...bring a great digital camera or here you can get 4mil pixels on a decent Sony camera for about $150.00. Have a great trip.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things you wouldn't leave home without.......

Hi Kiwi

We are off to California in 2 months. We have been there before and DONT take any food! They are very strict and i made the mistake of forgetting about baby food in my bag. Very embarrasing when the drug dog went off @ me - not too mention SCARY! They were understanding and let me through with it but Id avoid the hassle and extra forms this time!

The coffee in Hawaii is fantastic. We bought some home with us on our return last yr! No problem bringing it back into NZ!

Cant think of anything Id recommend taking because most things (compared to NZ)are relatively cheap and we use this excuse to have a big shopping excursion when we visit USA, except, of course, comfy shoes for those long days at Disneyland!

Happy Holidaying!!!