We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tower of Terror

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Zealand
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Tower of Terror

I really want to do the tower of terror ride but hate free fall rides. How sudden and how far are the drops on this ride?

I am OK on roller coasters and stuff

I know im a big sook. LOL

Thanks

Near Disneyland
Level Contributor
724 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tower of Terror

I don't speak NZ...what's a "sook?" lol!

Yes the TOT *will* drop you unexpectedly in certain places. It's all random but you will feel like a Yo-Yo when done. Maybe take a pass on this one?

hollywood
Level Contributor
887 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tower of Terror

i'm a sissy on rollercoasters...but i love tower of terror. i think b/c like space mountain, you can't really see around you. with the exception of once at the top the door opens, but it's far enough away that i'm not bothered by it.

Lethbridge...
Level Contributor
480 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tower of Terror

I am a major chicken when it comes to rides and we did the Tower of Terror the last time in DL. The worst for me was when you get to the top before you drop they open the doors and you can see out. I didn't enjoy that but otherwise it was fun. Scary as heck but fun and glad I did it.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tower of Terror

My husband is a big sook and I had to go on the Tower of Terror on my own! He is a wuss!

I did go on this ride in Orlando (1996) as well as Anaheim (2005) and was glad I did it.

I would probably go on it again when I get back to Anaheim next year.

From memory, the drops were short and it didnt overly bother me.

Megan

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tower of Terror

Hi,

I'm a big sook, too, lol. But I went on TOT 10 times in the 5 days we were at DL resort. It was really fun. The first part is the worst - you have a short little drop and then they shoot you up for what seems like forever. All of a sudden you drop again. I was scared silly that we were going to drop as far as we'd gone up, but we never. It was a quick drop, and then back up again.

I had no idea what this ride was all about, or I probably would have been too scared to go on it. But after I'd tried it, I realized that it really wasn't that bad.

My recommendation would be that you give it a try.

- CG

Washington
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tower of Terror

It isn't as terrifying as you would think. You are strapped in your seat in rows with other people. It takes some of the scary away! Even if you don't ride, go inside to see the setting before you skip out. My husband had to be talked in to going on it, but was willing to go again. We didn't eat breakfast first, but felt fine.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
426 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tower of Terror

OK, I am a real wuss in theme parks; I am pettrified of roller coasters and get sick on anything that spins round (e.g. tea cups in Disneyland). I 'suffer' the simulated rides - e,g, Back to the Future. Even though I don't like heights, I was persuaded to go on the TOT. Brilliant. It's not like 'free fall' in the old parachutes in Knotts Berry Farm. You are seated, strapped in, with around a dozen other fun seekers. Yes it's scary but this is the thrill factor. It was great and I would advise you to have a go. You will regret it if you don't.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tower of Terror

I don't like falling type rides either, but went on TOT with my daughter when we were in DL over Christmas. We reluctantly took my 7 year old grandson on the ride with us (weren't sure how he'd react), but he loved it!

I think I screamed from the time the ride started to the time the ride ended, and I'm not sure I'd do it again (knowing what I know), but it was definitely worth the experience!

Alberta
Level Contributor
817 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tower of Terror

TOT is not for the faint of heart. I took my 9 year old on it and we cried. It is quite a ride and quite a drop. If you have medical probs or bad back or neck, I wouldn't advise it. I felt weird afterwards and I suspect it's because I an 5ft 2 and weigh next to nothing and have tachardia which is racing of the heart at times. It doesn't happen very often but felt this ride was even a bit much. Would I do it again... heck NO. LOL Call me a sissy but I am not into thrill rides. If you are an adventurer seeker then this would be the ride for you.

Australia
Level Contributor
216 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tower of Terror

Looking back TOT was fun however at the time my daughter and I were terrified!!!

Yes you are seated and have a lap belt, however my lap belt stretched out everytime we dropped (6 times on our ride) and my bottom lifted off the seat a good couple of inches each time, I'm sure the people on the otherside of Disneyland could hear me screaming!!!

Our legs were shaking and we chickened out of any scary rides for the next few days.

The ride is definitely an adrenaline rush!!!