We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Aug 28-29 (day 1-2)

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,145 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Aug 28-29 (day 1-2)

OK. Let me start by saying "Do as I say, not as I (or more correctly, DH) did."

We began as usual for us, with my picking up my DH at work at 2 p.m. Aug. 28th and heading west. Our first night is Kearney, NE at the Ramada Inn. I had a few snacks for the drive (no smoked fish this time) so we had a quick bite at Wendy's down the road before hitting the bed. Good deal with internet coupon. Room seemed less clean this time, and we had a couple other minor issues in the room, so we would most likely pick another one to try the next time. But we do like the made to order omelets and breakfast buffet.

Our second day has us in Yellowstone via the east gate after a 19 hour drive in time to eat at Fishing Bridge grill (hours are 7:30 - 8:30) We did have about 20 minutes of road construction waits in Wyoming. I had the fish sandwich (baked or steamed, not sure but real fish) with salad and DH had a bacon cheeseburger and fries. We both left happy, bill was $29 with tip for Jared from Utah. I did notice there was vacancy at the FB RV campground.

Across to the FB Visitor Center. (open til 7 p.m.) Took our traditional pic of the front- no kids on the rocks, lol. Chatted with a ranger about the fire area. They have a neat looking kids hands on area. As always, checked out the beach, and it was nice as usual. There was a picnic table there which would have been fun to get our food to go, had we thought of that.

Elephant Back trail was an option, but in the closed area, so we checked in to our cabin (Pioneer, 1 bed) Warmer clothing was needed for the evening, then off to Mud Volcano. Made the loop, and stopped in Hayden Valley. We hung around til dark, hoping to see a fire glow, but it was calmed down and far enough from the road that nothing was visible. (This is the do as I saw part. Do not drive in the park after dark. Get to your lodging before dark. There were bison in the cabin area at Lake Hotel) Enjoyed the in-room shower and after prep for the next day, hit the bed. Hiked less than 1 mile today.

Up at 5:45, and by 6:30 we were having hot cocoa on the front porch of Lake Lodge, watching the bison by the river, and a small herd move through the drive in front of the lodge. Checked out of our cabin- we only had one night at Lake. Hit the Falls- Brink of the Lower was our only viewpoint this year. Love that place! Had a nice picnic lunch at Otter Creek Picnic area, as it was out of the closed zone. (No bathroom, but lots of trash and recycling containers) Very nice view.

Headed on North, going past Tower and stopping to chat with a Ranger about Specimen Ridge and the Petrified Trees. (Note to self, print every trail suggestion and info from TA even if you don't plan to go on that hike- I know I have read specifics on that trail!) Due to the weather possibly brewing up a traditional thunderstorm (afternoon by now) we headed the Rangers advice and saved that for another trip, choosing to go for a ways on the Yellowstone River Picnic Area Trail. Followed as far as Tower and turned around. Got Sand Blasted when the wind picked up! But wonderful viewing. A quick stop at the Mammoth Post Office for Postcard stamps, and we head on south. Possibly a bear jam (Ranger arrived as we safely passed foolish people) and we were ready to make a stop at Fountain Paint Pots. Word of warning: we spent a pretty good amount of time waiting and watching geysers. Fountain had gone, so we checked out Great Fountain, no go there either. On to Old Faithful Visitor Center for predictions, and as nothing was imminent, we checked into our Old Faithful Lodge Budget Cabin. (2 doubles) Geyser times allowed us to grab a bite at the Lower Store Grill (Grilled cheese w/bacon & salad plus choc shake for me, spicy chicken and ff for DH- $30 w/tip- OK, day 2 and I no longer keep track of the server. sorry.) and make it back to Great Fountain to catch it's beautiful eruption at sunset. Upon our return to OF, Beehives Indicator was erupting, so off to the hill we rushed. No Beehive. Showers at the bathhouse, organized for the next day and once again, hit the bed. Our second night in Yellowstone!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,567 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Aug 28-29 (day 1-2)

Thanks for sharing your trip report. Sounds like another great trip to the park.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Aug 28-29 (day 1-2)

What fun! I'll link this to the Yellowstone Trip Report Archive. You're wonderful winter trip report was, if I remember correctly, 8 sections! Will you be able to top that this time!!??

Looking forward to more.....!

Edited: 1:41 pm, September 13, 2013
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,145 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Aug 28-29 (day 1-2)

I have many more days, but real life is interfering with my time to create posts. We spent 5 nights at Old Faithful, then one in Lander, three backpacking in the wilderness and another night on the way home. The adventure will continue!

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,145 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Aug 28-29 (day 1-2)

OK- I need to correct my title- it was day 1-3 Aug 28-30. I blame Yellowstone withdrawal for my brain function issues.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,173 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Aug 28-29 (day 1-2)

I've never caught Great Fountain at sunset, but I know it was beautiful!

Pam

6. Re: Trip Report Aug 28-29 (day 1-2)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 02, 2014