We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone in 9 days in Mar/Apr

Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Topic
Yellowstone in 9 days in Mar/Apr

Hi,

I would like to make a 1 week trip to Yellowstone NP and nearby surroundings. I would be with my wife and 6 month old son and planning to do this in Mar/Apr

Considering that I will be traveling from NJ, can someone suggest how best can I spend my time and cover most places.

I also like driving and love photography and would like to cover some scenic byways.

Thanks

Manish

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone in 9 days in Mar/Apr

Way too early, still winter. but, think about mid-May and even then iffy weather. And many facilities are not yet open. See the articles and websites, below.

If you were to fly in and had a full week, you'd want to spend most of your time in Yellowstone and a day or two in Grand Teton National Parks.

If you decide to change dates, say June through September, tell us which airport you'd use; see upper right, Top Questions, for help.

Scenic byways? Both parks are incredibly scenic though another option is the Beartooth Hwy., but that opens quite late. You really will be spending so much time in the park or parks, other byways won't be particulary important.

Photography? Wildlife Viewing and Photography, contributions by several TAs: http://tinyurl.com/7dt5xe2

Yellowstone National Park Website: http://www.nps.gov/yell/index.htm

The park website contains a massive amount of useful information. See “Things to Do”, it opens a menu of options. If what you want is not easily found, use the search box. In this case, see "Seasons".

LODGING FOR YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK This article tells what you need to know about lodging locations inside AND outside the park, how to get lodging, and how to choose from among the various locations.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28973-c189012/Wyomin… html

Opening/Closing Dates, YNP/NPS nps.gov/yell/…open_closedates.htm

Opening/Closing Dates, Xanterra Lodging and other services yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/opening-cl…

Edited: 11:49 pm, February 13, 2013
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone in 9 days in Mar/Apr

BTW, your subject title says 9 days, but your text says a week. Which is it? Did that 9 days include flight time, round trip?

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,828 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone in 9 days in Mar/Apr

The entire park (with the exception of the 53 mile section of road from Mammoth to Cooke City) will be closed from March 15 to April 19th. You will not be able to access anything inside the park other than the northern section between Mammoth and Cooke City.

Deb

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,536 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellowstone in 9 days in Mar/Apr

If you want to see the park and enjoy the scenery and wildlife then plan your trip for late May- September.

Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellowstone in 9 days in Mar/Apr

Thanks all for your responses. After going through the comments, I have been trying to make an earnest attempt to reschedule my visit to late May or later.

As for my 9 days, it included my flight time round trip....something like leaving Fri Evening and returning the next Sunday Night.

Few questions:

1. I may be asking too much, but does someone happen to have a day wise itinerary suggestion of how to spend each of these 7-8 days in Yellowstone and Grand Teton

2. From the following months - May/Jun/Jul/Aug , what time of the year am I more likely to get cheaper rates and/or lesser crowd?

3. I am even thinking of combining this as a Road trip i.e. fly from New Jersey to Denver, then drive to Yellowstone, through some scenic routes, and then spend time in Yellowstone/Grand Teton, before taking a return flight from some airport near to these NP. Feasible/Farfetched, any thoughts ?

Thanks,

Manish

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,249 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellowstone in 9 days in Mar/Apr

Once you have decided on lodging, I can help with a detailed itinerary for your days within Yellowstone.

Please note the thread labeled *budget cuts* because the traditional opening dates have changed due to the sequester activities.

A road trip sounds fun but it depends on how long you have. Many do a loop from Denver and include the Black Hills and Badlands area. but you would need a bit longer than you have for that addition. You can do Yellowstone and Tetons from Denver over 9 days, or actually 7 days excluding your flight days. You would want to return to the Denver area on the night of your 8th day prior to your departure and would use up Day 2 getting to the parks, leaving you days 3-7 for touring, perhaps 2 in Grand Tetons and 3 in Yellowstone.

Of the months you have listed, late May and early June have iffy weather sometimes, depending on the year. Things get going in the park in early June, but this year things will be somewhat delayed. July and August are the high season with the best weather. After Labor Day things again start to shut down in the park, but many visit then and have good weather. The later in September the more your chance for not so nice weather.

Pam

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellowstone in 9 days in Mar/Apr

1. See the proposed itinerary by Pam/D0bby, on this page, for YNP:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60999-i481-k62183…

2. Lodging costs will have been set pretty much in May, so consider less expensive lodging in West Yellowstone or Gardiner, unless willing to look at the Frontier/Pioneer Cabins inside the park. See the lodging article I posted above.

Smaller crowd will be in May and June but June, while it has ify weather is a much better bet than May. Go in June or later, don't worry about the crowds, they only truly appear at certain points.

3. Is this different from your original post? In any event, your 7 days will be well used driving to/from, seeing, these two parks. I suggest 3 - 4 days in YNP, the balance in GTNP. Similar comments made in my earlier post.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,536 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yellowstone in 9 days in Mar/Apr

Also consider if you fly into one airport (Denver) and fly out of another you can incur expensive one way car rental drop fees. Before you make airfare reservations please check car rental prices and make sure you have unlimited miles because there is a lot to see and do in the parks.

Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Yellowstone in 9 days in Mar/Apr

(Administrator - Please let me know if I need to post this question as a separate thread)

Hi All,

Slight change in plans. I am now planning to combine Yellowstone/Grand Teton with Glacier NP in the last week of May

First 3-4 days in Yellowstone and the next 3-4 in Glacier. Please provide some suggestions

Thanks,

Manish

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,828 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Yellowstone in 9 days in Mar/Apr

The last week in May is not a good time to go to Glacier Park. You will not be able to access very much inside the park. If I remember correctly no services are available inside the park in May. The Going to the Sun Road does not open until the end of June. Post your question in the Montana forum under the Glacier Park thread to get more specific information on what is accessible at that time.

Deb