We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter Trip Report January 2013

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
8,012 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Winter Trip Report January 2013

Wow. Don't know how many times we said that. Best description I can do. Just WOW!

First, the boring part of getting to the park. Our planning began 3 weeks ahead of our trip. There was availability for both lodging and snowcoach. Husband could take vacation from work. Full moon on the calendar. Weather too far out for an accurate report, but we booked it. Plan was for 4 nights, and before booking, upped it to 5. (The way things worked out, we needed at least one more.)

My attendance at my fitness class began with renewed vigor. (Emphasis on skiing legs and boy did that pay off! )

Packing piles began to sprout. The home cupboards began to get bare- much to the dislike of the daughter that would be living out of them for the 10 days we would be gone. Food piles for the park began to grow. (much food left over, but we had the flexibility we wanted to be where we wanted, when we wanted) Much thanks for all the help here on the Chat page for packing list. It had been 30 years since we did the park in winter, and we were pretty unprepared last time. Young, dumb and no internet for research.

My timeline did not go exactly as planned- grandson was sick and couldn't go to daycare, so Grandma watched him a couple of days right before the trip. Hand washing to the max!

Finally! I know! It took forever to get to day one!! January 25, 2013. I packed up my stuff, packed the car, visited the library ( I am a reader, in the car and wanted to be prepared if we needed to spend a lot of time indoors due to weather) and picked up the driver at work. We are hard core when it comes to driving to the park. It is not the journey for us- only the destination. So, from Sperry, Iowa we drive 436 miles to Alda NE for gas. We should make it to the hotel without stopping, but the low fuel light came on and made me nervous. (We could have made it.) On to Kearney where I had a coupon for the Ramada Inn (stayed there with the same thing this summer) and we checked in for the night. 7 hours of driving, Dinner was smoked salmon, herb cheese, crackers, apples and chocolate. Another note- eating in the car is easier before dark, and break up the salmon into bite size pieces ahead of bagging.

Hotel Review: we had a grease stain on our sheets- looked like it got caught in the washer? But we are pretty easy travelers- we determined they were clean and reported it in the morning. Happy with the hotel and especially the coupon rate. Day one under our belts!

Edited: 10:07 am, February 04, 2013
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
8,012 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter Trip Report January 2013

Day 2 began with breakfast at the hotel. This time we tried the made to order omelet- and were both happy with that. I must say I am not a breakfast eater. In preparation for the trip, I have tried to eat a breakfast so I can eat before we head out for the day once in the park. I now see I omitted our destination: Yellowstone National Park!! And the plan is to be out in it as much as possible. So, breakfast by force. We head west. Before noon we hit Wyoming and get our mountain views :) Clear roads all through Iowa and Nebraska- hope our luck holds! Last stop for gas at Rawlins, lunch on the go (leftovers from last night) and clear roads, gorgeous views all the way to Lander. Pronghorn dot the landscape, but luckily have no interest in risking their pretty little necks by crossing in front of our car on a mission. We arrive at the brother-in-law's house and check out his new cabin home. It will be our room for the night. Dinner is at the Hitching Rack and was delicious. Back to relax a bit before bed. Day two under our belts- almost too excited to sleep- and the moon was beautiful!

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
8,012 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter Trip Report January 2013

I will start a new thread for the actual park portion- Day three it is!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,542 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter Trip Report January 2013

;-) Laughing at you crumbling up salmon in your lap in the dark....

Pam

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
8,012 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter Trip Report January 2013

forgot to mention: on the way we saw bighorn sheep as well as mule deer and pronghorn.

5. Re: Winter Trip Report January 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 06, 2014