We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motorcycle Tour in April?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
92 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Motorcycle Tour in April?

I'm strongly considering a long (6 week) road trip in April, from Mexico to Canada and back.

Knowing that Wyoming may have some of my coldest rides, I wanted to see what the riding might be like (or if I'm biting off way more than I can chew).

Is it true that some of the most scenic roads aren't usable until later in the year (June)? Should I travel elsewhere and wait to do the trip until some August?

Thanks for any thoughts or tips!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
92 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Motorcycle Tour in April?

Yeah, not a problem at all!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Motorcycle Tour in April?

Good, but how do I change it so that you can see the suggestions? If I make changes on your map, how will you see them?

Gardiner, Montana
Level Contributor
106 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Motorcycle Tour in April?

For wildlife in Yellowstone that time of year, you will definitely want to focus your attention on the Northern Range (Mammoth Hot Springs, Tower/Roosevelt, Lamar Valley), which is also the jumping off point of getting to the Beartooth Highway from the park. There are quite a few campgrounds in the northern area of the park as well as outside of park in Gardiner and Cooke City - the link below is the in-park camping information:

nps.gov/yell/…camping-in-yellowstone.htm

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
92 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Motorcycle Tour in April?

Excellent, thanks!

In reply to the above: Just adjust the route on the left hand side (either by updating the locations already entered - A, B, C, D, etc - or by adding new destinations then moving them into the right order). Then when you're ready to share, click the little chain link icon above the list of locations. The top link is the one you're going to want to copy and paste.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Motorcycle Tour in April?

Thank you, learn something new each day!

I made a Tiny URL, the other was incredibly long! :)

http://tinyurl.com/c996fa6

I sent you a PM with some suggestions, including a note as to why the change in direction from Vancouver/Seattle area.

I did not change the left hand column.

Edited: 4:27 pm, December 27, 2012
Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Motorcycle Tour in April?

I'd add Lewis & Clark Caverns, ID; Columbia River Gorge, just east of Portland; several National Parks in WA; OR coast; Redwoods (both State and National Parks), CA; Yosemite NP.

I'd give at least 2 days to GTNP; 3 days to Yellowstone NP; 1 full day or more, if into hiking, Glacier NP; 3 - 5 days, Seattle region; 2 days, OR coast; 1 day, Redwoods; at least 1 day to Yosemite NP.

All of the parks are quite different from each other.

I'd strongly suggest seeing the S. Utah parks: www.utah.com/nationalparks/grandcircle.htm

http://www.utah.com/nationalparks/

Edited: 4:40 pm, December 27, 2012
Gardiner, Montana
Level Contributor
106 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Motorcycle Tour in April?

I definitely second the route of taking the coast highway through Oregon and Washington, with side trips to Portland and the Columbia River Gorge. There are several great campgrounds right at/near the beach on the central and northern Oregon Coast that would be great places to set up and explore a little bit (my favorite is Beverly Beach, north of Newport).

For the Columbia River Gorge, my suggestion would be drive out US Hwy 26 to Mt Hood, then State Hwy 35 to Hood River and return to Portland via I84 through the Gorge. Not only would this add to your variety of scenery and photo ops, but the wind is notoriously strong in the Gorge (Hood River is considered by some to the windsurfing capitol of the world!) and I always prefer driving west through the Gorge than east.

Once you get into Montana and Wyoming, I agree with voyagings timing suggestions. Lewis & Clark Caverns (SE of Three Forks, MT) is definitely a worth a visit. There is also a great museum complex in Deer Lodge, MT - Old Prison Museum, Auto Museum, Frontier Museum etc that was much cooler than I ever expected it could be. When you get down towards Yellowstone, Chico Hot Springs would be a great place to stop and soak the road weary bones, especially after all of the miles on the bike - you can stay the night there or just get a day pass for the hot springs pools, and the Pine Creek Campground nearby is an excellent one. If you visit Glacier, you can also look at taking the Kings Hill Scenic highway out of Great Falls - I just drive my car, but it's a beautiful drive and would surely be even more so on a bike!

18. Re: Motorcycle Tour in April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 29, 2013