We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in one day from Cheyenne to Red Lodge, MT

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in one day from Cheyenne to Red Lodge, MT

I'm planning to drive in July from Cheyenne to Red Lodge and would like your input on what routes to take and what scenic stops to make. I realize this is going to be a long day but I can leave early from Cheyenne.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Driving in one day from Cheyenne to Red Lodge, MT

Deb, thanks for more details. I won't be skiing on this trip even if conditions are favorable for it but all those hiking trails make me think I should plan a trip to this area just for hiking. Btw, your pictures are still not posted.

RM-MN, a museum and guided tours? Great news but I won't be sharing this information with my husband otherwise we need to extend our visit in the area. The trip we are planning is already three months long. Thank you so much for returning with more ideas.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
22. Re: Driving in one day from Cheyenne to Red Lodge, MT

The three pictures of the Island Lake/Beartooth Lake Trails are now posted. It usually takes about a week for them to show up. I was a spaz and typed in Island Park on one of the pictures. As far as I know, I can't go back and edit the captions. The picture was taken on the trail that started at Island Lake Campground. The picture of me fording the creek is on the trail that starts at Beartooth Lake Campground. The campgrounds are 5 miles apart. Out of the two, I like leaving from Island Lake Campground Trailhead the most. One of the years, (when I'm not such a weenie) we're going to hike some of the trails at the very top of the pass. Its usually a lot more cold/windy up there which I've never been a fan of but some of the trails/views just might make me say "toughen up old lady and just do it" LOL.

Deb

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Driving in one day from Cheyenne to Red Lodge, MT

Deb !!! Your photos are great !! I have peeked on a few occasions.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
24. Re: Driving in one day from Cheyenne to Red Lodge, MT

Urban...thanks for the compliment. I have quite a few more pics that we took while on the Island Lake Trail that are just beautiful. I was in tears and saying a few bad words while fording the creek at Beartooth Lake. In all the years we've gone there we've always been able to easily rock hop across so taking sandals never even crossed our minds. Well, I quickly found out that walking barefoot across a VERY cold creek filled with lots of sharp little rocks was not fun- and I had to do it twice!! It was pretty funny though to my daughter who took the picture without me knowing. It her defense, she did offer her hiking shoes to me to wear while crossing but we had another trail we wanted to hike so I didn't want her to have to walk in wet shoes.

If anyone is in the area of Island Lake Campground and would like to hike the trail, I highly recommend it. As you can see from the picture, it is a well traveled trail and it is relatively easy hiking.

Deb

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Driving in one day from Cheyenne to Red Lodge, MT

Deb, these photos are wonderful. They really show how the trail looks. Thank you for posting them. Can you post more? I now have a hike from Island Lake Campground added to our itinerary. That was a deep stream to cross. How far is from the trailhead at the campground to this creek? I found walking sticks very helpful when crossing a stream/creek/river. Thanks.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
26. Re: Driving in one day from Cheyenne to Red Lodge, MT

The picture of me crossing the stream is at Beartooth Lake but there is a good size stream right at the beginning of the Island Lake Trail that you have to cross. The first time we hiked it in July we had to wade across it but when we went back in August it was easy to rock hop across. This last year was so unusual though because of the extremely late snowmelt. Its been a long, long time since I've seen that much water that late in the year. I never would have made it across the one stream without two walking poles- even then it was not fun. I definately will NEVER forget my sandals from now on.

I'm glad that you've decided to do the Island Lake Trail. If you're able to get the trail book I mentioned earlier, the trails that start at the Island Lake Campground Trailhead are #14 and #15 in the book. Another good trailhead is the Clarks Forks Trailhead which is closer to Cooke City. It is the start of the 26 mile hike that my daughter takes. There are lots of trails that lead off of the main one. Hikes #19, 20, and 21 in the book start at from there. We ran out of time to hike those so we have it on our agenda for next summer.

Deb

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Driving in one day from Cheyenne to Red Lodge, MT

I'm getting the book. Maybe I'll see you on a trail.

Thank you for all your help

28. Re: Driving in one day from Cheyenne to Red Lodge, MT

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, October 16, 2009