We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cirque trail

Level Contributor
214 posts
Save Topic
Cirque trail

I've read some conflicting info on this trail. Per the map it's 1.8 mi but also read somewhere else it's 2.5 mi. Assume the park map is correct?

Thinking about taking the tram up and then hiking this trail to the gondola and riding down the gondola. Is it not a good idea to hike down it?

If we take the tram down instead I noticed it stops at 5. What happens if the tram is full and we can't get on the last tram? Does that ever happen? It will be Sunday July 8 so imagine this area will be very crowded this time of year. Thanks!!

7 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
214 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cirque trail

Just to add on- I was trying to ask- as long as we are in line by 5:00 will we be ok? Or is the last tram really at 5:00 even if a line remains?

Also, I really want to go to the top but also really want to go to the Deck. I guess if the hike is too hard we could go down the tram and take the free gondola back up...

Edited: 3:21 pm, May 22, 2018
Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,703 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cirque trail

>Just to add on- I was trying to ask- as long as we are in line by 5:00 will we be ok? Or is the last tram really at 5:00 even if a line remains?

Last tram is at 5:00 firm. More importantly last one down is 5:30 so be sure not to miss that or you will be hiking. However, I have never had to wait for more than 1 tram in the summer. It is very expensive (free for locals early season hence my experience) so you won't find a huge line. Most everyone waiting when you arrive will get on the next tram that arrives (there are two). Most of the traffic will typically be mid-morning to early afternoon.

> Is it not a good idea to hike down it?

I don't know why it would be a bad idea, especially if you are in good shape and your destination is food/drink at The Deck. It is a grunt hike for sure and in a lot of open area. However, I will say that you spent a lot of money to get to the top of the mountain with 365 degree views, I'd spend time hiking around up there like Rock Springs Overlook and/or Cody Bowl, enjoying the scenery vs immediately hiking down the mountain with views only to the east. Take the tram down, and then take the gondy up as a reward after hiking. Don't forget about the altitude which can affect your athletic ability if you are not acclimated.

Edited: 8:36 pm, May 22, 2018
Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cirque trail

Blue Bird I think they stopped the free locals tram ride.

I agree with Blue Bird on checking out more up above.

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,703 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cirque trail

>Blue Bird I think they stopped the free locals tram ride

I asked a few weeks ago b/c I wanted to be sure... got this back from the mountain, so away we go up the tram!

Hello !

Thank you for your email. The Aerial Tram is free to locals through June 8th this season. Proof of local residency is required.We look forward to seeing you.Martha

Level Contributor
214 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cirque trail

OK! Maybe we will hike around the top-- which hike up there is the most scenic?

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
7,659 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cirque trail

You either hike down to the east or hike westward across Rendezvous Mountain. The westward direction is pretty and moderately challenging. You pretty quickly cross into the park and don't reach a trail junction for several miles. Take bear spray.

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cirque trail

Thanks Bluebird, I was told last year they'd discontinued that without a season pass.

Reply to: Cirque trail
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted