We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ironman Triathlon this weekend

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,410 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ironman Triathlon this weekend

Hey all - I am heading to Madison this weekend to cheer on a friend's daughter doing the Ironman. I am looking for advice on viewing spots, etc. We are staying at a LaQuinta, and are planning to head to the start of the swimming at 7 am, and then figure out spots to go from there. What time should we plan to be in the area of the swim, for example? Is it better to use the shuttle bus to go out on the routes, or to find a spot we can get to? We thought we would split into small groups (there are 15 of us total).

My planning is complicated by the fact that I won't be staying for the entire race, but heading to the Pewaukee area in the late afternoon for a get-together with some other friends. So any advice on how to accomplish this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ironman Triathlon this weekend

http://www.ironman.com/~/media/fb0cca1f62774e6780bbfc99e5eea12d/9%208%20im%20wisconsin%20spectator%20guide.pdf

ironman.com/triathlon/…axzz2e8LPCfPS

I would call the Visitor Bureau. They should be able to tell you or point you in the right direction.

Up North
Level Contributor
45 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ironman Triathlon this weekend

For the swim, Monona Terrace. For the biking, Verona (specifically along Main Street between Verona Ave and Cross Country) . For the running, the finish line on MLK Blvd, though before the finish you can watch many places around the Capitol Square, State Street, or UW campus.

Watch out for road closures/detours along the bike route. Plan for delays and bring a good map.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
444 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ironman Triathlon this weekend

Just to add- be very careful if driving in the Verona area. The bikes do share the main roads with cars in and out of Verona. I once saw a very close call between one of the athletes on a bike on Verona Ave. and a car trying to cross that road. The guy in the car misunderstood what the cop directing traffic told him to do.

I have in the past volunteered on the run at the lot 60/picnic point area on the UW Campus (by University Bay). That's near a turn around point on the run and in the past has been an interesting place to watch because friends/families of the athletes often put up encouraging signs for them along the running path. Also you can easily park for free in lot 60 on the weekend.

It looks like the weather will cooperate- but I'm guessing the athletes would prefer it a few degrees cooler. Enjoy your visit.

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,410 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ironman Triathlon this weekend

Thanks for all the tips. I have printed all the maps from the site as well as a couple forwarded by the participant. We are having a strategy session over dinner tonight.

I work a water station for the Chicago Marathon, so yes I agree that the participants would probably want it a little cooler.

Off to pack now!

5. Re: Ironman Triathlon this weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 09, 2014