We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

okay fellow Wisconsinites... need help..

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
okay fellow Wisconsinites... need help..

I'm looking for a good winter place to take my wife on her birthday the end of December...would love to find a small town with a main street that has bars,restaurants and some shops..but some thing different than a door county or lake Geneva. We are in Milwaukee so the closer to southern Wisconsin the better but would consider anything north woods...or the state to the south..would rather spend my money in my own state but trying to keep my options open..thanks for the input...

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,167 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: okay fellow Wisconsinites... need help..

Elkhart Lake is another that comes to mind also not far away:

www.elkhartlake.com/…

www.elkhartlake.com/things-to-do/shopping/

Kohler, WI for upscale retreat/getaway or stay at a regular motel/resort and just take in some fun shopping:

americanclubresort.com/village/shops_woodlak…

Kohler info: midwestweekends.com/plan_a_trip/family_frien… There's Kohler Design Center, Art Center and Kohler-Andrae State Park

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,360 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: okay fellow Wisconsinites... need help..

even tho i'm a FIB, i'm still gonna throw out some ideas....

green lake.... kinda like lake geneva, but less touristy.... you can stay a few miles out of town at the mecan river lodge-----definitely has a northwoods vibe to it, without actually being in the northwoods....

a long haul, but what about bayfield? beautiful, quaint harbor town near the apostles.... and in the northwoods.... nearby (and a little closer), is ashland, which looks to be pretty nice (we just drove thru).....

keewaunee---yeah, it's near the door, but it still looks like it has a nice downtown and right on lake michigan....

lando... not much of a town, but the gateway lodge is the northwoods at its finest, plus you're not that far from eagle river, st germain etc....

Edited: 11:55 pm, August 08, 2013
Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,360 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: okay fellow Wisconsinites... need help..

oh yeah, there's also the blue harbor resort in sheboygan......

http://blueharborresort.com/

WI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,167 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: okay fellow Wisconsinites... need help..

I knew it was a little far but if you like Door County try Bayfield as StrangeTripper recommended, they're similar yet different feels...With Bayfield you've got the Apostles, Madeline Island, the Big Top for great shows in a unique location atop of a hill, berry picking galore (at the right time), the apple fest (booked a year in advance but a fun event to go to), the Iron Bridge, kayaking or boat tours. Bayfield is tops for me along with Door County. It is far from you but well worth it.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
956 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: okay fellow Wisconsinites... need help..

I think the OP is looking to travel end of December. Some of the smaller tourist towns may be ghost towns that time of year, especially in northern Wis.

WI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,167 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: okay fellow Wisconsinites... need help..

I would contact the chamber of commerce in each town for that reason....Most try and market to a year round crowd otherwise it's hard to make do but certainly any small town could have that concern.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,360 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: okay fellow Wisconsinites... need help..

bayfield may still have some action in dec, depending on snow and trail conditions---many snowmobile trails criss-cross bayfield county with a few of them coming right into town.... same with green lake... in fact, i've been there a few times in winter time and there's stuff to do.... again, it all depends on snow conditions, which lately, has been iffy early season.....

Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: okay fellow Wisconsinites... need help..

If you truly want to impress your wife for her birthday, then take her to the American Club in Kohler. It is even more beautiful over the holidays. If the weather is bad, there are dining options within the complex itself, as well as un underground passage to the spa and Design Center. Take a horse drawn carriage ride through the Village. There are addittion shops and restaurants at Kohler's Woodlake property just a few blocks away.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
530 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: okay fellow Wisconsinites... need help..

I second the American Club in Kohler or the Osthoff Resort in Elkhart Lake. Upscale and quaint.

20. Re: okay fellow Wisconsinites... need help..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 19, 2014