We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Lake in Summer?

Texas
Level Contributor
107 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
What Lake in Summer?

We have a family goal of visiting all 50 states together and this summer we'd like to visit Chicago and Wisconsin. I've always wanted to do a lake vacation - house on a lake, fishing dock, small or smallish town with grocery, ice cream shop, a few restaurants at least. I don't know where to begin. I started reading the forums but do y'all have any recommendations? Thanks!

Libertyville...
Level Contributor
109 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Lake in Summer?

There are something like 12,000 lakes in WI, a significant portion offering the types of amenities you mention. Given the huge number of possibilities, you will likely have to narrow things down a little before you get any really useful advice out of this forum. One word of advice, the further you go from Chicago and Milwaukee, the more rustic and wild Wisconsin gets. There are very few lakes in the SW quarter of the state (approximately west of Madison and south of La Crosse). Many of the boats and cars packed to the gills headed north on a Friday go to the northern half or 2/3s of WI. The northeast (Minocqua, Eagle River, etc...) has the greatest density of lakes and is also more developed for tourists. The northwest (Hayward, Spooner) is slightly less so, although the entire northwoods relies heavily on tourism so services are never too far. And for reference, you can drive from Chicago to Duluth-Superior in about 8 hours, so all parts of WI can be reached in that amount of time, or less, provided you aren't leaving Chicago in rush hour.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What Lake in Summer?

www.doorcounty.com Door County is a Wisconsin don't miss I would highly consider it. It's got all non chain restaurants and lodging past Sturgeon Bay. It's high traffic in summer but there are ways around that and places to see and go and even though very popular it has that rustic feel.

Three Lakes, WI would be a good consideration.

http://www.threelakes.com/ voted single best town in America recently.

Eagle River is very nice scenic and rustic wise. I'm not familiar with the town scene recently though but I continue to hear great things about it.

Green Lake, WI is a possibility with Ripon and Princeton nearby which are lovely areas as well, even Montello to explore while there.

http://visitgreenlake.com/

Black River Falls is a gorgeous area: http://www.blackrivercountry.net/

Edited: 4:51 pm, December 22, 2012
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,526 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Lake in Summer?

Lake houses are not my area of expertise, but I have an observation form reading the Wisconsin forum for a long time.

I don't recall seeing any references to sites that rent lake houses. I suppose there is vrbo, but I can't think of any others. That being the case it might be good to try to locate some lake houses that you could rent and then investigate whether they meet your criteria, for near a small town, etc.

From your criteria I assume you want to stay away from the major tourist areas like Door County and Lake Geneva.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Lake in Summer?

Try this site. www.wisvacations.com/wisconsin/rentals.html

Come back to the forum and ask about some specific locations. There are so many places. Check VRBO too.

Pam

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
400 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What Lake in Summer?

Try Crivitz area. There are many small lakes and it has a very small town feel. Around 45 miles north of Green Bay.

6. Re: What Lake in Summer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, January 02, 2014