We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do within 7-8 hours of Milwaukee?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
12 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
What to do within 7-8 hours of Milwaukee?

We are looking for ideas of places to go that are about 7-8 hours from Milwaukee. Our previous trip to Sault Ste. Marie has been scratched and we need some ideas. We have a 3 year old and a 5 year old and 5 days saved to go there tour around and drive back. Any ideas?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,208 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do within 7-8 hours of Milwaukee?

Door County

Madison

Lake Geneva

Chicago

Minneapolis

Wisconsin Dells

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,165 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do within 7-8 hours of Milwaukee?

www.doorcounty.com That coupled with Green Bay--NEW Zoo, National Railroad Museum, Bay Beach Amusement Park (cheap rides and concessions, a favorite place!), Bay Beach Wildlife Sanctuary (FREE) should keep you plenty busy. In Door County it's a lot of scenery but there's The Farm to go to and more view the link for more details.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,336 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do within 7-8 hours of Milwaukee?

Do you have your dates already? Door County is wonderful, we're regulars and I heartily support that idea. Same with Green Bay. However, DC can get really booked up and if you go to GB, be aware of Packer game dates. If you can avoid the weekends, you've got much availability.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,161 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do within 7-8 hours of Milwaukee?

What interests and activities do you enjoy? You have a lot of distance you can go with 7-8 hours from Milwaukee. Anywhere in the State of Wisconsin is doable depending on your interests. You could also get as far south as St. Louis; east to Detroit or west to Minneapolis or Des Moines.

If it were me, I'd consider a loop trip of Michigan. With kids, maybe they'd enjoy the Kellogg factory/tour.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,997 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do within 7-8 hours of Milwaukee?

The Kellogg tours were shut down years ago.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
12 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do within 7-8 hours of Milwaukee?

We are going the weekend of July 13th. To be more specificwe live 1 hour north of Milwaukee, so the Green Bay Door County option isn't far at all.

Does Minnesota have a lot of things?

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,165 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do within 7-8 hours of Milwaukee?

there's the Bear Center in Ely, MN. I would visit the MN forums for more MN info.

on the other side of WI much like Door County but quieter is Bayfield/Madeline Island/Apostle Islands. That's my favorite place in WI along with Door County.

There's the Water Park of America, Mall of America with the Aquarium, Legoland, Amusement Park area near the Cities. The Como Zoo and Conservatory with the small amusement park is also nice (free but for the amusement park)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,161 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do within 7-8 hours of Milwaukee?

>>>The Kellogg tours were shut down years ago.<<<

Thanks for that update Rick. I was there around 5 or 6 years ago, so I had no idea. Good to know now.

Edited: 1:58 pm, June 19, 2012
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,336 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do within 7-8 hours of Milwaukee?

Oh Timeshare, I sent him a PM because I was afraid if I mentioned any other states in the WI forum, such as those with Vikings or Bears, that I'd get nasty comments!! Seriously, I also suggested the UP if they've got that much time.

BTW, why do we seem to have a rivalry with MN and IL, but NOT MI? HMMM.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,161 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do within 7-8 hours of Milwaukee?

Hehehe Frozen Tundra. I did start with St Louis :)

Not being "from" Wisconsin, I suppose I am a bit less politically correct about our (football) rivalries. Sure I'm a Packers' fan, but just not crazy with loyalty against Minnesota.

I do, however have an attitude for Illinois. My issues there have more to do with the darn tolls they charge you to go through there . . . something I learned to hate while living in IA and early on, driving "home" to Milwaukee through the Quad Cities & Rockford and having to pay some tolls. I especially avoid them now that they all doubled earlier this year!