We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kettle Moraine state park North or South

Chicago, Illinois
6 posts
Save Topic
Kettle Moraine state park North or South

I and my husband are planning to go to the Kettle moraine state park to see the fall colors in mid october. Considering it is going to be a day trip from chicago downtown and back, which area should we focus on. Are the sceneries and colors better on the north side or south side of the state park. I wish we could see the whole place but time is limited :(

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Kettle Moraine state park North or South

actually we are already set to camp at moraine state park. I just wanted to see if it was within a 30 minute drive to the dells

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,216 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Kettle Moraine state park North or South

I think it would be an hour or more depending on your exact location within the huge area that the Kettle Moraine encompasses.

West Chicago
Level Contributor
7 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Kettle Moraine state park North or South

which unit has better bike trails? we are going there at the end of this month but I only see a lot of mountain bike trails & I don't think my 9 year old will be able to tolerate that. i also think i will have to look for a campsite outside the park b/c it looks like they are all booked.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,216 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Kettle Moraine state park North or South

Sometimes it's better to start a new question than piggy back on and old one. You may get more responses titling a post Wisconsin bike trails, or camping near bike trails.

It very well may be too late to reserve a campsite in a State park, but Wisconsin has lots of private campgrounds too. With a google search you should be able to find lists of campgrounds.

Wisconsin also has lots of bike trails. There are several in the rural areas north and west of the Dells including the Elroy- Sparta, the 400 and the Omaha.

The sugar river trail near New Glarus could be another option. The Wild Goose Trail near Horicon Marsh is flat and I think an easier ride that might be good for a 9 year old.

Note too that some state parks in southern Wisconsin have banned any type of campfires because of the drought conditions.

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: Kettle Moraine state park North or South

Hi All,

Which unit, north or south, would be better for winter hiking and camping? A few buddies and I plan to spend two nights there in February. And yes, we love winter camping. :)

Bruce

Jackson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
544 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Kettle Moraine state park North or South

The way the snowfall has been this winter so far the Northrrn unit has so far had the most snowfall

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,126 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Kettle Moraine state park North or South

I'll take north over south Kettle anytime, if you have the extra time to get there.

18. Re: Kettle Moraine state park North or South

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 19, 2014