We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geenbay, what's it like?

Clearwater,Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Topic
Geenbay, what's it like?

We haved lived on the west coast of florida for over 6 years. We moved here from MA because my husband couldn't stand the cold. Now he has a job offer in greenbay. He went up there for an interview and loved it. Very family friendly and safe. My major concern is what he feels like when the daylight is very short, and the temp is bellow freezing. Any one have any advice or thoughts on this? Any info about the area either good or bad will help.

Thanks

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,452 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Geenbay, what's it like?

Green Bay is large enough to offer conveniences, services, etc, but small enough to give a very friendly family atmosphere.

Financial considerations you should know about include rather hefty state income taxes, maybe 4%, depending on your income level. Property taxes are also much higher in Wisconsin.

It sounds like you have lived in a norther climate, so you know what winter is. There is no changing that. Winters can be rough in Wisconsin and sunlight is scarce during the winter.

Mequon, WI
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Geenbay, what's it like?

I would say that the climate in Green Bay is quite similar to western MA. My son was at Amherst for 4 years and he usually had our weather a few days after. Winters are long and it gets dark very early (like 4:30) from mid-December until Feb. It is probably colder longer than MA. I should think that it would be quite a shock coming from FL. We put up with the cold because we like the other things that go along with living in Wisconsin. People are friendly, schools are good, the other 3 seasons are lovely. The state is progressive. Taxes are horrendous, no doubt about it. Good luck.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
331 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Geenbay, what's it like?

Having lived in WI my entire life, I still am not used to the freezing temps and shortness of daylight. It is really only Jan and Feb that are bad. By March it starts warming up. Now that it is June and we have 80 degrees, it is hard to remember that just a few months ago it was below zero.

I live just south of Green Bay, and I really like it here. There is a small town feel, yet there is a lot of stuff to do. Not to mention if you live in Green Bay, Door County is only a short drive away, with alot of different things to please everyone.

st petersburg fl
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Geenbay, what's it like?

my family moved to the west coast of florida about ayear ago. we would never even consider thinking about moving back to green bay. we went through the hurricanes last year and that still did not deter us from going back. the warm friendly atmosphere will never happen there, only wth a knife or two in your back. i would think twice about it,and if you decide to go -bundle up and God be with you.

Clearwater,Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Geenbay, what's it like?

louann,

You are in St.Pete? I'm in Safety Harbor. My husband wouldn't have even gone on the interview up in Green Bay if he had any offers here. He lost his job back in August and has had little luck getting another one. That is the only reason we are thinking about it. SIGH I will miss Safety Harbor...... If we do go they only make you commit to one year so if we hate it we can come back if he can find a job here. Can you recommend a town to look at? The company he will be working for is right near the airport. I would like to keep his comute under 45 minutes. Our kids go to Davis (A rated school) and 2 of our kids are in the gifted program. Do they have something like that up there? Are there any private schools? That is our main concern, the kids��� schools.

Thanks

Clearwater,Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Geenbay, what's it like?

burkehouse,

What town do you live in? Our main concern is the school system. We have 4 children. Three are in school now. Next year they will be in 4,5&7th grade. The youngest is only 3 so I don't have to worry about her just yet.

Fond du Lac...
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Geenbay, what's it like?

Sure Wisconsin is cold in the winter, but the 4 seasons are absolutely beautiful. Would really miss them if I lived down south. People complain about the cold, but it seems these same people are always seen out snowmobiling, ice fishing, skiing, and ice skating on the lakes, and sledding down hills. Like anything else, you adapt. No matter where you live, the weather isn't always "perfect". Why don't you look up the Green Bay Chamber of Commerce on the internet and see what all they have to offer? Or perhaps send for some free flyers and information? I live about 60 miles south of Green Bay and this area is often called the "Fox Citites" area. It is very family orientated, not what you would consider a "big" city, and yet you're just a few hours from larger cities, if that's what you're looking for. This area has, I believe, a lower than average crime rate, and higher than average rated schools. There are many very pretty areas in and around Green Bay. I agree with the other person that replied to you...Door County is absolutely beautiful! I go there every summer. It's a "must see". Also the Dells area with the bluffs is very pretty. Kids love this area because it is like a huge entire-city water park, but there is also plenty for adults to do. Up North there are national state forests. You can also drive down the Mississippi River, or go up to the Apostle Islands. Nothing takes "days" to get to. If you're into "big cities", Milwaukee isn't too far away. The state capitol in Madison is absolutely breathtaking to say the least. I think you would like it here, and I think (or would hope) that you would find the people here very friendly. You're always welcome in Wisconsin! Whatever you decide, good luck to you and your family! :-)

Clearwater,Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Geenbay, what's it like?

Thank you for all your help. I have yet another question. I know it can get very cold but what about sunshine? Is it cold and sunny or cold and overcast?

Fond du Lac...
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Geenbay, what's it like?

It can be both. Sunny and overcast. When it's sunny and there's snow on the ground, the sun reflects off the snow and it's very, very bright outside. There are overcast days too though. For a few months it gets dark outside around 4-5:00pm but that doesn't really seem so bad. I guess I'm used to it. What kind of job is your husband thinking about? Is it something where he could try it and if he doesn't like the cold, possibly transfer to a warmer climate? I don't know for sure, but I think MA averages more colder days per year than we do. To me, it seems like about the time you're getting sick of the cold, spring is coming and a new season starts. So yes, it can be overcast, but it can be very sunny and bright outside too with the snow on the ground.

Clearwater,Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Geenbay, what's it like?

He is a Director of IT. He could find another job somewhere warmer if he didn't like it. That would take some time to do though. The problem we are running into is at the level of management he is at there aren't as many jobs. It's like he has worked so hard to get where he is at and then he had the rug pulled from underneath him. If he goes for an IT management job people say he is over qualified. It's very frustrating. We have to make a decision by the end of the week so all the advice everyone is giving me is helpful. I just wish I knew what we should do.

Thanks everyone. Please pray of us.