We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Monticello, VA to OH

Oak Park, Illinois
5 posts
Save Topic
Drive from Monticello, VA to OH

Hi all -

I've been reading all kinds of guidebooks and posts and I think I just need some expert advice. We are going on a road trip in July and on our return will be coming from Monticello, driving through WV/OH eventually arriving home to Chicago. We were hoping to find a great place to stop and spend the night in WV - this will be a leisurely drive.

I know about Harper's Ferry, etc in the northern part of the state but we were hoping to stay in the central/southern part because we have done the drive through PA and northern OH so many times we can do it with our eyes closed.

So - any thoughts? We have three kids, 2 8 year old twins and a 3 year old. All of whom are very adventurous, love hiking and travel well.

Thanks for your input!!!

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,976 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Monticello, VA to OH

How many days are you allowing for the return trip from VA.?

If two days the halfway point would be closer to someplace in Ohio. Beckely or Fayettville WV would be a third of the way leaving close to an 11 hour drive on your second day.

Beckley would have Exhibition Coal Mine. Educational for you and the older kids.

Half hour out of route. Short drive up RT 19 would get you into Fayetteville. Several outdoor outfitters in the area would provide you with some hiking, horseback and swimming options. Leave VA early enough you could be there by early afternoon.

Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Beckley
Beckley
West Virginia
Fayetteville
Fayetteville
West Virginia
Oak Park, Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Monticello, VA to OH

Thanks! We are allowing 3 days back. Have been looking at the Beckley area or the Charleston area to stop. We are actually coming from the Williamsburg area but will probably stop fora bit at Monticello. I haven't checked Fayetteville out yet...thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Beckley
Beckley
West Virginia
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Fayetteville
Fayetteville
West Virginia
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
10,601 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Monticello, VA to OH

Beckley would be your best option. Lots of hotels and resturants right off the Interstate. Very nice and fun mini golf course (Little Brick House Gift Shop) less than one mile...some people walk to it from their hotels. Also, like pop2748 mentioned....New River City Park has the coal mine that you can go thru, plus a replica of a real coal town you can tour. Plus...a hands-on youth science museum....and a nice park too...pool, tennis, playground, 1-mile fitness trail.

Fayetteville is a short drive up Rt. 19.....stop at the north side of the New RIver Gorge Bridge, nice tourist center and a good hike to the overlook...breathtaking. (literally.....lots of steps up..coming back!)

http://www.rivermen.com/site/beckley

www.localattractions.com/attractions/700.php

Mentioned in this post
Beckley
Beckley
West Virginia
Fayetteville
Fayetteville
West Virginia
New River Gorge Bridge
New River Gorge Bridge
855 Reviews
Fayetteville, WV
charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,976 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Monticello, VA to OH

I'd shoot for Beckley. Starting from Williamsburg with a stop at Monticello, it would be late afternoon arriving at Fayettville and not enough time to take full advantage of anything there. Long day on the road with another one the next day. No sense in squeezing too much into itenerary.

Beckley. Could grab a room just off the interstate. Then a quick 2-3 mile drive over the hill to the Exhibition Mine. Evening could do a stroll through Tamarack. Boring for the kids but grown ups would enjoy it.

beckley.org/exhibition_coal_mine/index.html

Edited: 3:09 pm, February 11, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Beckley
Beckley
West Virginia
Tamarack
Tamarack
894 Reviews
Beckley, WV
WV
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Monticello, VA to OH

Another thought is Lewisburg, WV - recently voted "America's Coolest Small Town". It's quaint, historical and easily accessible. Also not far from The Greenbrier, which is always worth a visit! You could then continue on to some of the other good suggestions you've gotten!

Mentioned in this post
Lewisburg
Lewisburg
West Virginia
The Greenbrier
The Greenbrier
2,749 Reviews
White Sulphur Springs, WV
6. Re: Drive from Monticello, VA to OH

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, June 08, 2013