We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comment on the Woods Resort

Mississauga
Level Contributor
331 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Comment on the Woods Resort

Anyone been to the Woods Resort in Hedgesville? Planning on going late August with my family including 3 teenage boys 14, 16 and 18. Any good restaurants nearby and activity suggestions?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comment on the Woods Resort

We were at the Woods last year with a group of friends I grew up with. We're going back in a few weeks. We thought it was great - nice facilities, lots to do, and very reasonable prices. They also have a lot of lodging options.

In terms of restaurants, I thought the Woods restaurant was fine for breakfast and lunch. We weren't that impressed with dinner however. There are several restaurants in Berkely Springs which is about 15-20 minutes away. I've eaten a few times at Tari's and highly reommend it. Their menu is varied and the food quality was very good. The restaurant at Coolfont used to be good but recent reviews in Trip Advisor have been pretty bad. I've been told that the Market Street Grill is pretty good but I've never been there.

There are several pretty good restaurants in Martinsburg which is about 15-20 minutes the other direction. Martinsgurg would also be the place to go if you have any interest in going to a chain restaurant.

If you're willing to drive a little farther, there are a few good restaurants in Sheperdstown, which is 40-45 minutes away. The food at the Bavarian Inn in Sheperdstown is good but I never cared for the service. We always liked the Yellow Brink Bank a lot.

In terms of activities, there's a lot to do at the Woods - golf tennis, indoor and outdoor pool, gym, etc. Berekely Springs is worth visiting. It has a very small state park with spa, and a lot of nice shops. If you have any interest in the Civil War, you're not too far from the Antietem battle field and Harpers Ferry, where John Brown wass hanged. When we visited, we just hung out at the Woods.

Hedgesville, WV
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Comment on the Woods Resort

The Woods is geared more for the retirees. there is some horseback riding but just about the closest thing in this area for teenagers is Kings Dominion (2 hrs south), DC sites which is a week in itself. Take the Metro from the Beltway stations, all day ticket $6.00. I live in Hedgesville, and like it alot, but you need to travel to Balto., DC, or Fredericksburg VA for Kings Dominion. Oh, also there is a Six Flags in MD, also about 2 hrs away. Harpers Ferry has water rafting, and the racetrack is in Charlestown, which is fun once in a while. Anyway, hope this helps. Nothing out of the ordinary. You might want to try Berkeley Springs. It's kind of a "70's hippie town" in some ways. They have the natural water springs that you can get water from. We get our water from there and bring home several gallons. They also have massages, and natural herb shops, along with craft places of some really nice art and scrulptures. Martinsburg has the restaurant chains. There are some hidden diners and stuff like that if you would like to go. Inwood has a restaurant called the Dining Room. Its cheap, homemade and good. They are not open on Sundays, but all food is homemade. I heard it's good, though I have not made it there. Hagerstown, MD (about 20 min. away) has a "Bethesda-type" restaurant, alittle pricey, call L J's, I have tried and loved.

Good luck