We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Tour bus - DC tours or Greyline?

Westbury, New York
Level Contributor
97 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Which Tour bus - DC tours or Greyline?

I want to take a bus tour of DC at night in April. Any recomendations. I am staying at the Holiday Inn Capitol, according to their website, these tours buses stop there. Any recomendations? I am a mother traveling with 2 boys 15 and 11. Thanks for the help.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
455 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Tour bus - DC tours or Greyline?

The Old Town Trolley looks like fun, and a friend took her Mom on it and actually had a good time. She's lived here for 15 years.

The trolleys are open air, if the weather is nice, which I would think would be appealing instead of a bus.

You might also consider the DC Duck tour out of Union Station. It does both land and water (the vechile floats) and looks pretty cool. I think the kids would be into that.

Unfortunately neither run at night, which is a nice way to see the city.

www.viator.com/brochure/product_show.jsp…

…viator.com/brochure/product_show.jsp…

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
1,999 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Manitowoc, WI
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Tour bus - DC tours or Greyline?

I'm wondering too about tours. What is the best tour for hop on/hop off? Is it best to take the 2-day tour? Thanks for any help.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
455 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Tour bus - DC tours or Greyline?

It depends. If you are very inquisitive about all the sites on the list, then you might consider the 2 day. If you just want to sit back and take in the ride, then obviously not.

The Smithsonian is a day in itself you wouldn't need the trolley.

Spend a day on the Mall. See the Capitol, National Gallery, all the Smithsonian museums and you might still have the legs for the Holocost Museum.

Then the next day, give your feet a rest and take the Trolley tour to Georgetown, up to the cathedral and around some of the monuments.

Mentioned in this post
Georgetown
Georgetown
2,529 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Westbury, New York
Level Contributor
97 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Tour bus - DC tours or Greyline?

Thanks for your help. The DC ducks tour does look fun but is only open during the summer months.

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Tour bus - DC tours or Greyline?

We took the Gray Line Bus tour out of Union Station for the night tour. It was great. I suspect this is going to be more of a personal preference for you and your family. I don't think you can hardly go wrong. (You have gotten some good posts for your question.) I can tell you the greyhouse type buses Gray-Line use are very comfortable. I suppose weather may be a determining factor for you. The driver drops you off, waits a set time, and then picks you up. You are taken to the most popular monuments i.e. Lincoln, Vietnam, Korean, Jefferson etc. You start at Union station, and they drop off customers at the hotels afterwards. Just another way to go!!

Good Luck!

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
1,999 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Gray Line DC
Gray Line DC
305 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
The Jefferson, Washington DC
The Jefferson...
1,214 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Missouri
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Tour bus - DC tours or Greyline?

I will start by saying this may be a really stupid question, but I see that several people have written that the driver drops you off and then you get back on. Are you allowed to tour these places in the evening?

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Tour bus - DC tours or Greyline?

Absouletely!!! You can visit on your own in the evening, or take a tour bus and have them do the driving. The momuments are lit up at night, and they are spectacular. At least I thought so.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
455 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Tour bus - DC tours or Greyline?

I love the city at night. Most people go back to the hotels or are out eating dinner. It has a nice calm about it, and all the monuments are lit I think until 10 pm.

It is a wonderful way to see the city in the summer with a little reduction in crowds and heat (it is hot and muggy here in the summer). I am partial to the Lincoln coming over memorial bridge and then around the other side looking into the reflecting pool.

I would think one of those buses with no roof would be ideal at night.

Mentioned in this post
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
Washington State
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Tour bus - DC tours or Greyline?

Does anyone have information about Tourmobile working through the National Park service? We will be in DC next week with a 6 and 10 year old and were thinking a tour on first day might work well to give us an overview. Any opinions/recommendations?

Washington State
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Tour bus - DC tours or Greyline?

Does anyone have information about Tourmobile that works through the National Park service? We will be in DC next week with a 6 and 10 year old and were thinking a tour on the first day might work well to give us an overview. Any opinions/recommendations?