We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel recommendations, please

Wrightstown...
Level Contributor
7 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel recommendations, please

I am traveling to Washington, DC in late April (21-27; dates not certain yet). I will have my husband and my parents (age 84, limited mobility) with me.

Looking for hotel recommendations near the Mall. We will be going to memorials (WWII, Vietnam, FDR) and museums (American Indian, Holocaust, American History). We'll like to spend less than $150/night per room on average (I know prices are higher during the week and lower on weekends).

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Washington
Washington
United States
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,358 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel recommendations, please

$ 150.00 per nite may be on the low side, DC hotels are expensive. You may look into guided tours if mobility is a problem. There is really no way to go it on your own without lots of walking.

You need to get on Hotels.com, expedia or some of those sites to check hotel availability and rates for your dates.

Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel recommendations, please

Another heads-up: You're headed to DC at a very busy time; April school vacation for a lot, and a gazillion of those kids will be visiting DC. Make your reservations as soon as possible. If you want to be right in NW DC, you'll probably pay well over $200, and you may find many places booked up. As mentioned, you can't see the sites without a great deal of walking. There aren't really any hotels "near" the mall. The mall and memorial areas are huge. Get yourself to AAA, they've got a great map of DC so you can plan your attack. The Metro is wonderfully easy, reasonable and convenient, so you can stay at any of its stops just outside the city for a lot less.

Some of the places I've stayed at: The Watergate, sometimes a good deal on the web, convenient to Foggy Bottom Metro. Doubletree Guest Suites New Hampshire Ave, suites (which are nice), next to Foggy Bottom Metro. George Washington Univ Inn, across from Doubletree, sometimes good deal on web. Washington Marriott, yuck - rundown, long walk to Metro. Residence Inn Pentagon City, 2 blocks to Metro in Arlington. My parents (in their 70s) are staying at Hilton Garden Inn Arlington for $89 a night in May, convenient to Metro or has shuttle, parking and breakfast included.

Good luck!

SC
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel recommendations, please

Just got back from the Watergate. Loved it!!! Got it for $149 a night, just calling the hotel itself. Beautiful hotel. Large rooms. Excellent service.

Level Contributor
32 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel recommendations, please

To be near the Mall and White House area, I'd say the JW Marriott or the Hotel Washington would be your best bets. They're both just a few blocks from the Mall, the White House and museums. They're also near theaters and restaurants. I'm not sure what their rates will be for April though.

Mentioned in this post
White House
White House
6,781 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
JW Marriott Washington, DC
JW Marriott Washington...
3,201 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
calif
Level Contributor
190 posts