We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WWII memorial - 90 year old parent

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
WWII memorial - 90 year old parent

Any tours take in the WWII memorial? I have a 90 year old WWII veteran parent I would like to take to see it but they have limited mobility. Would also like to see other sights but only 1/2 day tours.

Any suggestions?

Tiber Creek Tours of DC
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
D.C. Ducks
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Duck Tours
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WWII memorial - 90 year old parent

I think Tourmobile is your best option: a narrated ride with all-day hop-off/hop-on privileges so you can make your own itinerary, spend as much or as little time at each stop as you wish; it does stop directly at the WW II memorial; and it's the only trolley/tour service which is authorized to drive through -- and make several stops in -- Arlington Cemetary, which is something your elderly vet might like to see but would find too taxing to cover on foot:

Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,183 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WWII memorial - 90 year old parent

Either that, or take a cab ride to the Memorial and see it on our own. There's not there that needs a guide - much of it is self-explanatory. If you need background information on the significance of the various features, you can download a free guide here:

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WWII memorial - 90 year old parent

I agree that you should take a cab to WW II War memorial, rather than trolley tour. There is an area where you can both sit and contemplate Memorial and there is a brochure available there that will explain the Memorial so you do not need a tour. Also, by taking cabs, your parent can save his energy for sites he wants to concentrate on. For you both to be able to visit the WW II together is special - does he talk about the war at all, where he's served, etc. ? (I am assuming parent is your father, not mother even though women have served too)

You can register your parent in a database for WW II Memorial while you are there or you can do it ahead of time. http://www.wwiimemorial.com/

Also visit online Veterans History Proect by the Libary of Congress http://www.loc.gov/vets/ - it's an ongoing project

4. Re: WWII memorial - 90 year old parent

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, August 26, 2009
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question