We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in June, itinerary help please

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
83 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in June, itinerary help please

Hello,

We will arrive in Dulles at 2PM on Thursday 25th June (from Europe) and will be leaving on Sunday 28th June at 3PM (fly out to Portland, Maine from Reagan), we have 72 hours in DC. We will stay in Embassy Suites Convention Center. The purpose of the trip is to visit Smithsonian – Natural History and Air and Space museums (for each we allow one whole day). Is it better to allow Friday for NHM and Saturday for ASM or vice versa?

I would like your suggestions as to how to incorporate in our visit the other things we would like to see:

1.Library of congress – the operating hours are mon-sat 8:30-4:30 but the tours are available only between 10:30-3:30. We will arrive too late on Thursday to go for tour and it is closed on Sunday, so we will need to visit it on either Friday or Saturday. Would you advice to take an early morning trip or rather during lunch time or perhaps the afternoon one? Friday or Saturday? Or skip the tour and guide ourselves?

2.Washington monument – has anybody visited during the sunset/evening hours? Or is it better to visit during daytime? When are the views most scenic?

3.Lincoln memorial – I read that the monuments are more impressive during night time when they are nicely lit?? And our preference is to visit by night but we may be tired by the time it gets dark on all 3 nights with all the walking.

4.White House – I assume we will visit on Thursday after we settle in the hotel and refresh after 16h on the plane.

5.On Sunday we will be checking out around 1PM so we have until 12 to visit something. Should we schedule either of the above or perhaps another Smithsonian museum for a quick 2 hours visit and if so, would it be enough to roughly see American History museum?

We are a couple in our mid 30, we don’t walk much and we like our holidays to be rather slow and take it easy. We love food above all and would love to try some local delicacies, a friend from MD recommended we try crab cakes and rockfish, any suggestions where to find these close to our hotel???

Thanks in advance!

Springfield, VA
Destination Expert
for Fairfax
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in June, itinerary help please

Are you talking about seeing the outside of the White House or going inside? Visitors to the White House need advance tickets that are requested through a US congressional representative. If you search in this forum, there are posts about how non-US citizens have been able to to get them, but it's difficult and by no means guaranteed.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,178 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in June, itinerary help please

It is easy to see and enjoy the Library of Congress without one of their tours. Some of the volunteers who give the tours are not very exciting.

The views from the Washington Monument are always amazing except in heavy fog, which is rare. Go whenever you can get tickets for.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,478 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in June, itinerary help please

When you're coming it won't be truly dark until past 9pm (or 2100 hours). So if you want the most dramatic of lighting then it'll be late. However, being in the area as the sun goes down is quite nice as well and you can see some dramatic natural lighting with the setting sun. Basically, either way, it'll be nice.

You could probably see a good number of exhibits (or go in depth on 2 or 3) in a couple of hours at the American History Museum.

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
83 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in June, itinerary help please

Thank you all for replies. We may need to shift the trip for July but it will be the same arrangement with arriving on Thursday and leaving on Sunday, so not much changes.

We intend to visit the White House only from outside. We want to get to Ellipse and just take some photos of the south lawn. It should be within walking distance from our hotel so perfect to stretch legs after long flight.

The monument is fully booked for hours 7PM and 7:30PM. The sunset is supposed to be at 7:29. so I am thinking whether to book a trip at 6:30 or 8:00.

I will consider the American History museum for Sunday then, thank you!

If I can skip the tour of Library, what would be the best hours to visit??

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,178 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in June, itinerary help please

I don't think there is any "best hour" for the Library of Congress. Just go when it is convenient for you. And be prepared to be WOWed.

6. Re: 3 days in June, itinerary help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 28, 2016