We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel near sites and public transportation to Mt. Vernon?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
US
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel near sites and public transportation to Mt. Vernon?

We are looking for a hotel for a family of five around $150 per night with a indoor pool for the kids at night. (ages 6-11). Prefer one walking distance or not more than 15 minutes via metro to primary sites of smithsonian, white house, memorials,. Plannning on Veterans Weekend right now we are considering Embassy Suites Chevy Chase for $150. We would also like to go to either Mt. Vernon or Monticello and were wondering if it is possible to reach either site via public transportation or if it is best to rent a car? We would prefer not to have to rent a vehicle but are not sure if its possible to get from airport to hotel to site without one?

Thanks in advance

Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel near sites and public transportation to Mt. Vernon?

I don't know exactly where the Embassy Suites is, but Chevy Chase is probably exactly a 15-minute metro ride, depending on where your hotel is, probably Friendship Heights station on the red line. The Smithsonian, White House, Memorials are on both the orange and blue lines and the airport and King Street are on the blue and yellow lines, so getting to C.C. would require a blue or yellow line ride (whichever is shorter) and a transfer to red at Metro Center; getting to the attractions would require the reverse: red line from hotel; transfer to blue or orange to wherever you're going. You'll get to know the system very well; even your kids will find it easy to understand.

You can get just about anywhere in the city on the metro, and if you have the time don't miss Old Town, Alexandria - get off at the King Street station and catch a cab to about a mile south at the intersection of King and Washington Sts. Some of the streets are the original cobblestone, just like they were when George Washington and Robert E. Lee lived here and nearby. It's a good alternative (or addition) to getting a taste of the revolutionary experience if you don't get to Mt. Vernon. But try.

Anyway, your problems are going to be Monticello - which is 100 miles southwest, in Charlottesville, VA, so it would definitely require a car rental - and Mt. Vernon, about 10 miles south. Mt. Vernon will require some planning, but you can get there by long metro/half-hour bus ride, or short drive if you rent a car. You'd have to go to the end of the yellow line, Huntington Station, and time it so you'd get on the right bus to Mt. Vernon. The whole trip would probably be about an hour one-way, maybe a little more. Again, check online for the metro schedule - very user friendly.

I don't recommend renting a car in downtown DC for those not used to urban driving - traffic circles, one way narrow streets, very high security in some areas, none in others. If you live in a big city it should be no problem, easier than most.

Sorry to run on, trying to be helpful. Looks like a good hotel choice, just a little far on the outskirts, adds a bit to your metro rides. DC hotel prices shoot up on holiday weekends, so unless you can find something comparable on Dupont Circle or near the Zoo, I'd stick with what you've got. Enjoy your trip - it's one of the world's most beautiful, historic, easily enjoyed and family-friendly urban areas. A nice place to visit, but call me . . .

a happily displaced native

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel near sites and public transportation to Mt. Vernon?

It is not 15 minutes, but 22 minutes per the Metro website from Friendship Heights to the Smithsonian stop.

www.wmata.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel near sites and public transportation to Mt. Vernon?

Unless you've already got a reservation at the Chevy Chase ES, I think you'll need an alternate: the web site is showing that the only accommodations they have for that weekend are suites with just 1 king bed in the bedroom (and the sofabed) which won't work for a family of 5. There are, however, suites with 2 double beds in the bedroom + sofabed at the ES in the Old Town section of Alexandria for $169/night via embassysuites.com. A well-situated property which has been getting good reviews here at TA:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g30226-d224254-…

I think Mount Vernon would be a better day trip: you don't *HAVE* to rent a car to get there, and I think it's a more engaging place for children of those age -- especially with the new visitors & museum/education centers which are opening at the end of October. And they offer a "scavenger hunt" for kids whereby they can earn a free ice cream cone :-)

mountvernon.org/visit/plan/index.cfm/pid/39/

Unfortunately, the boat cruises to Mt. Vernon are ceasing operations for the season on the last weekend in October, or else that's the mode of transport I'd be suggesting. Here are the directions for getting there via Metro & bus and by car:

mountvernon.org/visit/plan/index.cfm/pid/824/

mountvernon.org/visit/…23630327

HAVE FUN

US
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel near sites and public transportation to Mt. Vernon?

Thanks so much for your response. We do have one booked at Chevy Chase for $160. Is the one at Old Town closer to the sites via metro? The less time walking the better for my son. We got really cheap tickets into Dulles from Iowa-less than $100 a person so I can spend a bit more on rooms now. I prefer the suites and we need a refridge for my sons medicine. We have never been to DC so I really want us to enjoy it would the Embassy on 22nd be better location or is there a suites hotel that has better location. To get from the airport I know it will cost $40-50 is it best to do a taxi or limo? I also understand we will need to be there 4 hours in advance to return is that correct? Sorry for all the questions. And thanks for all the help

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel near sites and public transportation to Mt. Vernon?

-Old Town would be closer to the sites downtown. Althought it's still about 7 stops from Smithsonian station. Chevy Chase would be about 8 or 9 if you used Friendship Heights or Bethesda Station. Chevy Chase and Old Town both have charm. Chevy Chase is more of an upscale area. With lots of shopping (upscale) and dining options. Old Town has quaint little streets, would put you closer to Mt. Vernon with some shopping and nice dining.

-The ES on 22nd Street would definitely be closer, although I think the rates may be higher. Call them and see. This is only a few stops away from the mall area and majority of the attractions.

TRANSPORTATION:

-Do not reccomend the Bus to metro or 5A to L'Enfant. I travel with kids and it's hard just getting in and out of the airport, let alone catching a bus then getting on metro with luggage. It's just too much

Eventhough it's the cheapest way. Cheapest isn't always the best.

-With kids and coming from Dulles Airport, -Airport Shuttle (Blue Van) you could do the Exclusive Private Shuttle up to 7 passengers for $65.00 plus $1.00 each for fuel charges (rate quoted from their website) www.supershuttle.com. And up to 10 passengers it's like $110.00

-I know of one personal sedan service (Red Top Sedan) that will take you from Dulles to the ES on 22nd street whole family for $120.00. It would be more for Bethesda and Old Town Embassy Suites. Sounds expensive, I know but even if you rented a car (SUV or minivan for the size of the family) and then had to pay for parking $15-$25 or more- each day to park at hotel) it is cheaper to use them.

Hope this helps. Did you have any other questions.

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel near sites and public transportation to Mt. Vernon?

Also, the taxi will cost you about $60.00 or more. Adding, extra passengers, and luggage.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel near sites and public transportation to Mt. Vernon?

Hi there,

Have you tried the Holiday Inn on C St SW? I'm not sure if they have an indoor pool but it is very, very convenient to both the L'Enfant metro and the Smithsonian. In fact its just two blocks away from the Air and Space museum – a favorite for most kids.

In terms of getting to the hotel, I would suggest taking the Blue Van shuttle service. I think navigating the metro for the first time with kids and bags might be too much.

Good luck!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel near sites and public transportation to Mt. Vernon?

With that bit of additional info about wanting to make things as easy as possible for your son, let me offer a couple of thoughts. The ES on 22nd St. will be about $100+ more per night than either the Chevy Chase or Alexandria locations (or at least those were the kinds of rates I was seeing for the 2-bed bedroom at 22nd St. when I did the search for you last night), and it's just not worth the additional money for your family imo -- primarily because it's not very close to a Metro station, and the immediate area is skimpy on family-friendly eateries.

The Old Town ES in Alexandria is directly across the street from the Metro station; according to the reviews here at TA, there is a good pizza place and Joe Theismann's restaurant -- a "sports" grill described as excellent and kid-friendly -- right there by the ES; and if Old Town proper itself is too much of a walk for your family, the hotel offers a free shuttle to this mecca of shops & restaurants. Were I you, I think I'd pick this ES as I think Alexandria would be a more fun for the kids than the Chevy Chase location which I think of as being rather "sterile". Here are the URL's for Joe Theismann's and Alexandria's visitors bureau for more info on this nice town:

http://www.joetheismanns.com

http://www.funside.com

9. Re: Hotel near sites and public transportation to Mt. Vernon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, August 19, 2009