We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Day

Brush Prairie
Level Contributor
65 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
First Day

OK I'm feeling like a pest, but our trip is getting closer and I don't feel ready even though I've been studying this forum and 6 guide books since June! We get in to BWI at !:00 Pm..I plan on taking the MARC train into DC....We are staying at the residence Inn at Capitol..What would be a reasonable itinerary for that first day? I was thinking of the Momuments by Moonlight tour, but can't decide which would be the best tour company...I'm waiting to get tickets from our Senator, so that will help on my plans for the next 6 days...Since I've Never been to the East coast I feel slightly overwhelmed by everything...My husband and I are in our 60's and this will be our only trip to DC...Thanks again.....

CitySights DC
Bus Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours
The Ghost Story Tour of Washington
Ghost & Vampire Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Night Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
58,954 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Day

Ok...take a deep breath! Relax...breathe again...relax...repeat...:)

No sense in getting stressed out over something that's supposed to be fun!

That critical typo in your post prevents me from knowing what time you get in. (I would imagine it's supposed to be "1:00 p.m." but I can't imagine any flights from the west coast getting here that early)

In any event, how about having NO plan for that first day? Get settled into your hotel, walk over to the Federal Center SW Metro (subway) stop and figure out how to use that...take a walk up to the Mall and just soak up the atmosphere. You're lucky enough to have a hotel that close to things, and it will no doubt be an incredible site for you to see that view of the US Capitol when you get to the Mall, and it's only 3 blocks from your hotel!

If you're energetic, keep walking, over to Union Station (well, "back" to Union Station since that's where the MARC is going to drop you) and grab a bite to eat. Walk past the Botanic Gardens or maybe it will be early enough for you to go in for a visit...wander past the Air & Space museum and see what you can see through the windows

The next day, well rested and with a sense of where things are at least in the immediate area, you'll be ready to tackle your six day plan!

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
467 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Brush Prairie
Level Contributor
65 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Day

We're actually spending Tuesday night with relatives in Cleveland and flying out of there to BWE arriving at !:00 P.M. I admit to being a bit obsessive, but you go with what you are:) I just don't want to miss anything and yet have the energy to enjoy it all....

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First Day

If you arrive at BWI at 1:00 pm, I'm guessing it will take a couple hours just to arrive in DC and get settled into your hotel. So by then it's 3:00 pm.

I like IrishFan's idea--just take a stroll up 3rd Street to the Mall, head up the steps of the Capitol Building, and marvel at the view! Walk around the Mall a little, take in the wonder of it all, then head back to your hotel to freshen up a bit.

HINT: Check with your hotel concierge to see if there is a discount coupon for the Old Town Trolley Moonlight Tour. Or maybe there is an AARP or senior discount. While I personally haven't taken this tour, I'm sure it's very good, as it is associated with Historic Tours of America, a very reputable company.

shophta.com/acb/stores/15/product1.asp…

The reviews here at TripAdvisor seem to be mostly favorable for the Old Town Trolley. Just type "old town trolley moonlight tour washington dc" in the TripAdvisor SEARCH, and you can read what others have to say about it.

The tour begins at 6:30 pm, which should give you just enough time to grab a bite to eat.

Catch the Metro blue/orange line at the Federal SW Station, right around the corner from your hotel at 3rd & D. Take it over to Metro Center, and transfer to the Red Line to Union Station. You'll probably be hungry, so you might want to have dinner in one of the many offerings at Union Station:

http://www.unionstationdc.com/dinning.asp

Johnny Rockets is a good eatery, especially if you like a 50's style diner atmosphere.

Union Station, is where you pick up the Old Town Trolley for their Moonlight Tour.

Another option for the Moonlight Tour, is Tourmobile--they are the official concessionaire of the National Park Service.

http://www.tourmobile.com/tours_seasonal.php

The only question is whether or not they will be in operation on the date of your visit--you'll have to call them and find out.

How's that for an "obsessive" answer! ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
467 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Johnny Rockets
Johnny Rockets
55 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Day

Hi:

Starting with the Monuments by Moonlight tour is a good idea. If you can, get tickets at Union Station when you get off the Marc train. That way at least you know you have tickets, then head to your hotel. Enjoy your stay!

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
467 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,793 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Day

I don't see why you say this will be your only trip to DC, or anyway, you may be incorrect in saying so. I went to Dc at Easter and liked it so much I am going back - all the way from London - this October. I went wanting to see the museums and was delighted to find how pretty it is - you can just walk around endlessly taking things in. It's a very relaxed place and easy to enjoy. The locals are very friendly.

Have a marvellous time.

6. Re: First Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, August 20, 2009