We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving weekend or end of October?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
austin
Level Contributor
98 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Thanksgiving weekend or end of October?

I'm trying to decide when to take my parents to DC. They are in their 70s and have never been and it will be them and my husband. They want to do the memorials and some museums. I'm planning to set up private tours. We are thinking of flying in on thanksgiving Day, having dinner and then sightseeing fri-sun, and leave Monday.

Does anyone have thoughts about things being too crowded then, etc? I'm wondering if I should opt for October.

Also - what will weather be like? We are from Texas where it's warm :)

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,849 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving weekend or end of October?

While October is a busy time for visitors in D.C., Thanksgiving weekend is going to be a whole lot worse in terms of the number of visitors. Also, the weather at the end of October is going to be a whole lot better than the weather at the end of November. In fact, the leaves will likely be changing at the end of October making for a scenic time of year to visit. The end of November can be rather dreary--chilly and damp.

I would recommend the end of October for your visit rather than Thanksgiving.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,204 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving weekend or end of October?

Also, the airports are mobbed on that Monday after the holiday. Between the leftover Thanksgiving travelers and the business travelers who typically haven't traveled during the holiday week so they seem to making up for it, it's always a madhouse on that day. I try to avoid it when I can.

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
435 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving weekend or end of October?

I agree with the above posts. October would be much better than Thanksgiving weekend.

austin
Level Contributor
98 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanksgiving weekend or end of October?

Bummer I was hoping that you all would say thanksgiving would be ok!

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,726 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanksgiving weekend or end of October?

Sorry - October is much better, both for general travel, weather and for crowds. Especially the day after Thanksgiving, the museums are really crowded with visiting families.

austin
Level Contributor
98 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanksgiving weekend or end of October?

Thanks everyone - October it is :)

austin
Level Contributor
98 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thanksgiving weekend or end of October?

I rebooked for Halloween weekend. Is that going to be a problem for any reason??

Thanks, again!!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,733 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thanksgiving weekend or end of October?

Halloween will not be a problem except for the costumed crowds in Georgetown that evening. Don't plan your visit there on Halloween unless you like mob scenes.

austin
Level Contributor
98 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thanksgiving weekend or end of October?

Perfect - thanks again :)

10. Re: Thanksgiving weekend or end of October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 14, 2015