We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

another restaurant question...

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Concord, NH, USA
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
another restaurant question...

Hello all,

I will be in DC August 14th - 18th for a conference, and will be staying at the Marriott at Metro Center (775 12th St. NW).

I am not big on "American" or chain restaurants (I have those at home), but really enjoy ethnic food (ethiopian, indian, vietnamese, thai...). Are there any you could recommend in that area?

Although I would also love to have dinner recommendations, I am particularly interested in places to eat lunch (we are given 1 1/2 hours for lunch, so there isn't time to travel out of the area).

Thanks so much for looking at this!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
97 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: another restaurant question...

You will have an embarassment of riches.

7th street is the host to many restaurants. Jaleo is a fantastic and oft-recommended Spanish tapas restaurant. Also look for Cafe Atlantico.

The core of Ethiopian restaurants in DC is along 18th street in Adams Morgan, although that neighborhood no longer holds the monopoly. You will also find a good concentration of innovative ethnic (and American, too!) food along the U-street corridor. Both of these hoods may be too far for lunch, but a taxi ride could solve that.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: another restaurant question...

Good ethiopian too at 14th and P Sts. NW. Lalibela, I think the name was.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,189 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: another restaurant question...

There are a few good ethnic (or sort of ethnic) places nearby for lunch:

Bombay Club (815 Connecticut Ave. at H Street)

TenPenh (10th and Penn)

Ceiba (14th and G)

Sushi Aoi (1100 New York Ave.) gets good reviews, but I haven't eaten there.

Bon Appetit.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
455 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: another restaurant question...

I work at 9th and H so here is what I like

9th Street going south from NY AVE

Arcadiana

Zaytinya - my favorite

Ella's Pizza - 2nd choice

McCormick and Schmidt's (seafood)

8th and H

Matchbox pizza

7th St

Fado Irish pub

Merkeh <sp>

La Tosca

Jaleo

Ardeo

12th and H

Cap City Brewery

around the corner is the sushi place that is good

M&S Grill is on F and 11 or 12 and it good

Santa Rosa, CA
Level Contributor
24 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: another restaurant question...

Jose Andres is currently the top chef in DC. He trained at El Bulli in Spain and has a couple of restaurants--Zatinya, Jaleo, and Cafe Atlantico. Zatinya is terrific for Middle Eastern small plates and you can do well for a moderate price. The lamb shank on pureed eggplant is from heaven. Cafe Atlantico has great drink coolers which you will probably need in mid-August. The mojitos are a classic. They also have a tasting bar, the MiniBar, which only has six seats with two seatings. The price might be a bit high at $85, but that includes a 35(!) course tasting menu. This is a quite an experiece as most of the courses are one bite-two bites with unique combinations. If you like oysters, see my review under the Happy Hour at the Old Ebbitt.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,768 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: another restaurant question...

"Jose Andres is currently the top chef in DC."

I must have missed the election lol.

I'm not sure how often Mr. Andres is cooking at any of his local restaurants here, but in all honesty my last two visits to Jaleo were kind of, I guess, "ordinary". Maybe because it was the Crystal City location and not the "original" downtown? Slow service, empty water glasses, hot food served cold and cold food served hot. The dining room was not even half-full so it wasn't due to crowds.

Santa Rosa, CA
Level Contributor
24 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: another restaurant question...

Crystal City is NOT DC. I can't imagine anyone dining, much less finding a good meal on that side of the river until you get to Restaurant Eve in Alexandria.

P.S. In 2003, Andrés won the James Beard Foundation’s Best Chef of the Mid-Atlantic Region. Saveur recently included Andrés on their 2004 Saveur 100 list, noting that he “represents the broad spectrum of Spanish (and Hispanic) cooking from ancient traditions to the fantasies reminiscent of El Bulli, where he once worked, better than anyone else in America today.” Former President Bill Clinton termed Andrés “one of the premier young chefs in America”. In September 2004 Bon Appétit magazine named Andrés “Chef of the Year” at their 7th annual American Food & Entertaining Awards in New York.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,768 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: another restaurant question...

But the menu's (and decor, and owners, and chef) are the same at the Crystal City Jaleo as they are at the 7th Street location.

I'm not disputing that Andros is talented. But perhaps, as so often happens, is talent is diluted by owning several restaurants, writing a cookbook (which I own) and running up to New York to pick up awards instead of cooking. :)

And I don't think anyone would compare Jaleo, where you can feed 4-5 people for $95 if you lay off the sangria, to Restaurant Eve, where you can spend that same amount on dinner for one. They are not comparable.

(Mention of Restaurant Eve's expansion plans in today's Washington Post Food section if anyone is interested)

Level Contributor
503 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: another restaurant question...

Around 6th and D is a newer Indian place called Rasika. It's a little bit of a walk, but doable over a long lunch hour and the food is very good.

And the posts from Chef Jose's publicist notwithstanding, I've always found his places mediocre. Good guac at Cafe Atlantico, though.

10. Re: another restaurant question...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, August 15, 2009