We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help on upcoming DC visit

miami, fl
Level Contributor
56 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Help on upcoming DC visit

Hello,

We will be visiting on Apr 29th and would like a recommendation on a nice hotel (cost of around $150-$170). We know hotels tend to be pricey and we probably can not afford a 4 star hotel-unless someone knows otherwise!! (and even some of the 4 star hotels on the internet look run down). Also, we would like to stay in the city and utilize metro/taxis.

We are considering the Hotel Rouge, Hotel Topaz, Hotel George (all part of the same group). Any comments on these as far as convenient location, cleanliness, etc? Another possibility was the Sofitel Lafayette Square. Any comments on this other hotel?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!

DC
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help on upcoming DC visit

All of these are nice hotels...check out the Beacon Hotel also...it was recently renovated and is down the street from the Rouge...you might get a good deal there....I would try to get a room in the brand new section...Jurys is also right on Dupont Circle and the metro....

York, PA
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help on upcoming DC visit

Check out the St. Gregory. Well located, and if you are lucky, they will have a special running on rooms. Very nice hotel for the money

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help on upcoming DC visit

Topaz has very interesting cocktail bar off the lobby. It's also just a block or two from lively night life and Dupont Circle metro.

I think the Geoge is off Capitol Hill, near Union Station. I don't think of that area as an evening destination. I think a very nice restaurant Bistro Bis is attached to the hotel.

Not exactly sure where hotel Rouge is located.

My vote, on location and cocktails, is Topaz.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help on upcoming DC visit

Highly recommend the Sofitel! The rooms are comfortable, gorgeous and very quiet. Food is very close to authentic French. Location is in the business district so it gets rather deserted at night. Very near to the White House, Treasury, Renwick Gallery, Decateur House. Excellent steak house across the street: Bobby Van's. They also serve seafood & the best creamed spinach in town. Great German place about one block: Mozart's. Convenient to McPherson Square metro station.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
139 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help on upcoming DC visit

Try the Hotel Monaco as well. It is in the Penn Quarter area and it is also a boutique hotel. There's also the Jurys on Dupont Circle as well.