We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Mall area to Cathedral and back

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
the Woodlands, TX
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel from Mall area to Cathedral and back

My daughter and I will be traveling to Virginia while on a college hunting trip and thought we would take a day and explore DC. We plan on dropping our car off at one of the outlying Metro stations and visiting the Mall area first. Then, we hope to go visit Washington Cathedral for evensong at 5:30pm. With a later tour after the evensong on that evening. (probably will be over around 8:00pm).

We thought we would take a city bus up to the cathedral and back that night. But we are unsure about the safety in that part of the city at that time of night?

Any pointers or help about our plans?

thanks

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
164 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Mall area to Cathedral and back

If the bus routes work for your plans (note especially the times), you should be fine. It's a nice area, well-patrolled since lots of embassies are a short distance away.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,143 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Mall area to Cathedral and back

If you plan on parking at a Metro station during a weekday, just note that most lots fill up before 8 a.m.--some even earlier than that.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
164 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Mall area to Cathedral and back

And if you snag a parking space, you'll have to pony up $5 for the SmarTrip card, in addition to the money you'll add to the card in order to exit the parking lot.

Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Mall area to Cathedral and back

But you can use the SmarTrip card to pay for your Metrorail and Metrobus fare - and the cards are truly smart - when you board a bus immediately after exiting a Metrorail station, it only charges you 35 cents for the bus ride, without requiring you to give the driver a paper transfer. (Unlike other cities, you must obtain a transfer at the point at which you ENTER the Metrorrail system, rather than at your exit station).

Any of the Route 30+ buses should take you to the Cathedral - 32, 34, 36, 38. Check www.wmata.com to confirm the schedules and routes.

the Woodlands, TX
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Mall area to Cathedral and back

Thanks for the advice. Making me wonder if the parking lots fill up before 8:00....

If I were to drive on into the city instead, can someone suggest the best parking plan around the American History museum area? Am I insane to think about dealing with the traffic? I live in the Houston area, and thought I don't deal with it all the time, have known rush hour traffic quite a bit here.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,143 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Mall area to Cathedral and back

We always avoid driving into the District--in fact, it's been years since we have. Now, we always take Metro. Traffic on weekdays is awful. However, if you do want to drive in and park the car, check out this website for parking info:

…ari.net/Travel/Parking_Lots_and_Garages/

7. Re: Travel from Mall area to Cathedral and back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:32 am, August 16, 2009