We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&B or non-expansive hotel in Washington?

BARCELONA
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Topic
B&B or non-expansive hotel in Washington?

Hi,

I've tried to book a night hotel in august at Kalorama Guest House, but they asked me to book at least two nights.

Do yo recommend me another good b&b or cheap hotel near downtown (or near metro)?

My budget is 100-130 $ per night more or less, and I would like to have parking for my car too.

Thanks a lot,

nuka

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: B&B or non-expansive hotel in Washington?

Nuka:

Most B&Bs do have minimum stays in the summer. If you can get one of these without a minimum stay, they are in good locations (but check reviews first to see if it will work for you) -

Woodley Park Guest House

Chester Arthur House

Inn at Dupont Circle

Taft Bridge Inn

Abigail Christy House

For a cheap hotel, you may want to try the Americana Hotel in Crystal City (Arlington) Virginia. It's bare bones, but it's a convenient location only 3 metro stops from the main tourist attractions. There are even a few dining options available near the hotel.

Depending on when you're coming, you may be able to find a deal at an even nicer hotel. Try using one of the bidding sites if you're comfortable with that. Good luck!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,148 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: B&B or non-expansive hotel in Washington?

Take a look at these 2 websites--betterbidding.com--biddingfortravel.com--posters who use the bidding process find these 2 sites to be very helpful.

BARCELONA
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: B&B or non-expansive hotel in Washington?

Thank you very much, I'll look at these web pages you told me.

In your B&B list you did not mention the Adam's Inn B&B. They offered me a double room with private bath (13th august) for $ 109 plus tax, but they have not parking available that night at the inn, so they can refer me to another parking nearby, and I guess it will cost me $ 20-30...

Do you think that will be a good option?

I also have checked the Holiday Inn WASHINGTON-CAPITOL (550 C street SW), that has good reviews at TA and the rate is $99,99 plus tax without breakast, and I will have to add the parking rate, wich is $ 22 per night. People says is very well located for touristic interests.

Both have good reviews at TA and the total final cost could be very similar. Maybe the Holiday Inn is better located? I know that the area is dead at night, but it has public transportation near, so it seems that won't be a problem for us...

In case I have to choose between Adam's inn and Holiday inn Washington-Capitol, wich one do you recommend me?

Thanks again!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: B&B or non-expansive hotel in Washington?

Because the Adams Inn and the Holiday Inn are very different kinds of places, I think your decision depends on your personal preferences. If you want a modern room with a cable TV and other amenities, you'll be much happier with the Holiday Inn which also has a swimmng pool, bar and exercise room.

But if basic accommodations are OK for you and you want some nightlife, then the Adams Inn would be great because you would be within easy walking distance of all the restaurants, clubs & bars in the Adams Morgan neighborhood. Plus, there are many restuarants right by the Woodley Park/National Zoo Metro station, which is the subway stop where you'd be getting off ; the Woodly Park station is a 15-20 minute subway ride from most of the major tourist attractions.

So, if casual fun is what you're looking for, the Adams Inn would be the better choice.. The Holiday Inn would be best if you want some pampering.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: B&B or non-expansive hotel in Washington?

Good news, Nuka --

I just checked QuikBook and found that you can book a room through them for a room at the Omni Shoreham on the night of August 13 for $99 . This is a fine, full-service hotel on pretty, landscaped grounds with bar, restaurant & nice outdoor pool. It is right by the same Woodley Park Metro station you'd use to get to the Adams Inn, so it's also within walking distance of Adams Morgan -- and more convenient than the Adams Inn to the Dupont Circle neighborhood with all its shops, restaurants, etc.

So for the same price as the Holiday Inn, you would get both a true hotel experience AND fun nightlife quite nearby.

http://www.quikbook.com

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
167 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: B&B or non-expansive hotel in Washington?

Hey, Mopsydog.

I've just found that you mentioned the Americana Hotel, in Crystal City.

Does it have a website, so I can see some pictures of it? Do you think it's better than choosing the Hotel Harrington? How about it's location?

Thanks, dude!

BARCELONA
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: B&B or non-expansive hotel in Washington?

Thanks CockleCove!

I'm going to have a look at quikbook right now!

I understand what you told me, and my preferences are, first of all, to be near touristic area, because I only will spend 1 day and a half in Washington. Then, I would like to have restaurants near the hotel and nightlife, because we will need to have dinner near the hotel, and maybe we will like to go out at night, and finally, the services at the hotel does not matter to me much, because we are used to basic hotels (although a pool would bre great!...) ...so, does the Omni Shoreham have these requirements more or less? Is it well located to reach touristic area?

Thanks again! (and sorry for my english, is not my best...!)

Nuka

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: B&B or non-expansive hotel in Washington?

Nuka:

I agree with CockleCove that the Omni Shoreham is your best bet. It's closer to the metro than the Adams Inn so will be more convenient to get to the tourist sites (about 3 or 4 metro stops away). There are lots of restaurants and bars within walking distance of the hotel as well, as she mentioned so once you return in the evening, you won't have to metro again to get to nightlife. Have fun!

jq
Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
661 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: B&B or non-expansive hotel in Washington?

I'm finding rates of $149 on weekends in Aug and higher on weekdays at that site for Omni. As for Adams Inn, I have not stayed there but have it booked for Aug with a parking spot for less than $100 a night. Mixed reviews but most are fairly good. Not sure how much trouble it will be to get to capital mall--sounds like walk, changing trains, etc. We will see.

BARCELONA
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: B&B or non-expansive hotel in Washington?

Thanks everybody!

I've already booked a room at Omni Shoreham Hotel through Quikbook.com rated $99 plus taxes. I'm very happy with the choice!

Thanks again for your good advices!

nuka