We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Evening Sightseeing Plans

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
165 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Evening Sightseeing Plans

I have just found out that I will be staying in Reston to attend a work meeting Nov 11-15. I will be in meetings until 5:00pm so won't be able to do anything during the daytime. I will have a rental car so I am able to drive in to Washington after the meetings.

I understand that everything is closed in the evening so all I will be able to do is walk around and see the sights and take some photos. I have nevertheless even to Washington before but would like to walk by the White House and through National Mall.

Can anyone advise on good parking areas or anything special I should do or see? I am thinking I will come in to Washington for at least 2 evenings, maybe 3 if there is lots of things to see.

Thanks!

DC
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Evening Sightseeing Plans

At night, the museums are closed but the monuments are open (with the shutdown over, they no longer spend extra to close the monuments). You could drive in and park near the Lincoln Memorial to see that and the Vietnam and Korea Memorials nearby and then drive to a more central Mall location to see the rest.. There will probably be plenty of parking available after 6:30 pm.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
165 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Evening Sightseeing Plans

That's great about the monuments. My flight lands at 3:50pm on Nov 11 at DCA. Once I get my luggage and rental car, how long is it going to take in rush hour to get to downtown?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,173 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Evening Sightseeing Plans

November 11 is a government holiday, so rush hours will be much calmer than usual. It will probably take you 20 minutes at the most to go from DCA to downtown.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
165 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Evening Sightseeing Plans

That's great, I didn't know if it was a holiday in the US too.

One last question, can I get some ideas for a quick dinner around the monuments or White House area? It would likely be around 5:30 or 6:00pm.

Thanks again!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,173 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Evening Sightseeing Plans

There are no places to eat near the monuments. Lots of places near the White House. The oft-mentioned Old Ebbitt Grill, which I find rather frantic, will get you a nice dinner and have you in and out pretty quickly. It is very popular with tourists. If you just want a fast sandwich or something there are also options. Some may be closed due to the holiday, but I expect most are open as non-government businesses often do not participate. They often trade it for the day after Thanksgiving for their employees to have a holiday.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
201 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Evening Sightseeing Plans

The Portrait Gallery and American Art Museum are open until 7pm.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Evening Sightseeing Plans

If you don't feel like driving (and if you can park), the Monuments by Moonlight Tour is enjoyable. It starts at Union Station, where you can also get a bite do eat.

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g28970-d400…

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,659 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Evening Sightseeing Plans

I'd head over the the Penn Quarter/Chinatown area of town for dinner. (If you look on a map, this is the part of town around the Verizon Center, Ford's Theatre and the National Portrait/American Art Museum.) There are a ton of restaurants in the area. One restaurant that might be a good choice for a quick meal by yourself is Vapiano's--excellent pasta, pizza and salads.

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,972 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Evening Sightseeing Plans

I would suggest you make the most of your first day, since it's much easier to drive in from DCA than from Reston - (which can easily be 45+ min.) There will be no parking enforcement for meters or rush hour on Veterans Day, so you will be able to park pretty easily. You might be able to get to the American Art museum/portrait gallery in time to see a bit, then eat somewhere nearby - lots of places in that area. Then drive/park/walk around to see the monuments.

If your meetings end early any day - you could visit the Udvar-Hazy air & space museum which is nearer to Reston. Its so sad when people schedule conferences way out in the boonies! I wonder what the thought process is - you might as well be in Topeka!

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
165 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Evening Sightseeing Plans

Thanks for all of the great information. I am hoping to be able to change my flight on the 11th to get there earlier so I will have some more time.