We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which aiport to fly into DCA vs BWI

Miami FL
Level Contributor
446 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Which aiport to fly into DCA vs BWI

Hello

Planning a 3 day trip in November. Flights are $100 cheaper to BWI vs DCA. Assuming we (2) take the super shuttle from BWI to Downtown DC we will save $140 total. I do not want to use public transport. The other option is to fly to DCA and cab to hotel ($20) Is it worth it to save $140? I guess I want to know if its really that much more of a hassle to fly into BWI based on time spent commuting etc or is it worth saving the $140 and putting that towards a nice dinner

Thanks in advance

Annapolis
Level Contributor
129 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which aiport to fly into DCA vs BWI

Are you calculating the shuttle costing you $30 each way for 2 people between BWI and DC? If so you are underestimating. Plan at least $100 in shuttle costs and a shared shuttle will make several stops. For me, it's. DCA hands down.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which aiport to fly into DCA vs BWI

When you factor in traffic and the fact that Super Shuttle may make multiple stops before it gets to your hotel, I'd count on the trip via BWI to take you about 90 minutes longer in each direction. There is also the harder to quantify hassle factor, for example if there is a problem with super shuttle arriving on time to pick you up for your return visit. Only you can say if three hours of your time + increased hassle on a three day vacation is worth saving $140, as only you can say how big an impact having that extra $140 will have on enjoying the rest of your trip.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,124 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which aiport to fly into DCA vs BWI

If you don't want to use public transport, then dca. I won't try to convince you how easy and inexpensive it is and money you would save.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,608 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which aiport to fly into DCA vs BWI

Yes, the bigger savings (and probably less time) would come with taking the train from BWI to Washington. If you're not going to factor that in I think DCA is your better option.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,740 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which aiport to fly into DCA vs BWI

DCA is simpler.

6. Re: Which aiport to fly into DCA vs BWI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 27, 2014