We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3.5 Day DC Visit

Boston...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Topic
3.5 Day DC Visit

My girlfriend and I are taking the train down from the Boston/Providence area to spend a nice 4 day/3 night visit in the Capital City at the end of July. We have an idea of what we would like to do and what we would like to see but wanted to hear what others thought, especialy for the time we planned. So far on our 'itinerary' are...

The International Spy Museum

Capital Tour

Holocaust Museum

Air and Space Musium Anex @ Dulles Airport

Monuments (do you recomend day or night)

WW2 Monument

Fords Theatre

National Cathedral

Natural History Museum

National Archives

Any other sugestions for DC "Must See's"???

Thanks for the Help : )

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,155 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3.5 Day DC Visit

You could plan a daytime walk along the Mall from one end to the other. That way you could see all the monuments and memorials, including the WWII one. Just take into account that it does get very humid around here--more humid than Boston--so if you do decide to do this walk, dress comfortably, keep well-hydrated and take breaks. Many people have done the "Monuments by Moonlight" tour and liked it. You can get more info at the Old Town Trolley website.

You might want to look into using either the Tourmobile (http://www.tourmobile.com/) or the Old Town Trolley (http://www.historictours.com/washington). That way you can get from one attraction to the other fairly easily. If I'm not mistaken, the Old Town Trolley stops at the National Cathedral.

To get to the Udvar-Hazy Museum out by Dulles, the Smithsonian offers a shuttle from the DC Air & Space Museum. For more info: www.si.edu In general, when visiting museums, be sure to allow at least a couple of hours since there is so much to see. Some people can easily visit 2 museums in a day and not feel spent. So its up to you as to how many you want to visit in a given day.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3.5 Day DC Visit

The Tourmobile can also take you to Mount Vernon and Arlington National Cemetary. I highly recommend Arlington--the view from the Lee Mansion is beautiful, and if your timing is right you can see the changing of the guard or the wreath laying ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers.