We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any problems due to weather?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Johnson City, NY
11 posts
Save Topic
Any problems due to weather?

We will be arriving @ National on Sunday morning. We are staying at the Embassy Suites Crystal City. Are there any issues with The Metro I should be aware of? Also my daughter will be arriving from Alabama sometime Sunday afternoon, any hints on how to avoid road closures if any? Thank you in advance. Is the Embassy suites Crystal City a decent place to stay? Be well

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any problems due to weather?

You will be fine.

I live just down the block from the Embassy Suites and 1.3 miles from National and there are no flooding issues in Crystal City. There are no more issues on Metro and you will be fine.

The Embassy Suites that you are staying at is the place my family stays when they come to town. They love the 2 1/2 block walk to Metro, free made to order breakfasts, and the evening manager's recepton. You are within walking distance to at least 25 restaurants or you can take the free shuttle that they offer. Note, the shuttle also runs to National Airport. Call the hotel when you arrive instead of Metro. Easier with a group and with luggage.

Regarding road closures you daughter might run into -- I can't think of any. All the major arteries are open. There are no roads closed in the Crystal City/Pentagon City area.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any problems due to weather?

The biggest road closure in DC itself is Rock Creek Parkway (flooded out), which has caused major traffic problems on the west side of town, as all the cars that would normally take the Parkway have to go through town. Traffic over the Roosevelt Bridge (I-66) is greatly affected by the closure of Rock Creek, and some has moved to other bridges into town, including I-395/14th Street Bridge, which you would take if driving to/from Crystal City. I know because I've taken both home to DC from work into Virginia (the reverse commute), and they were both much worse than usual (which is already bad).

I'm not sure how this would affect you, other than to say avoid driving into or out of DC any time near rush hour, but then you probably would anyway.

Metro was back to normal after a single day of problems.