We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reagan Airport to VRE?

Missouri
Level Contributor
33 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Reagan Airport to VRE?

Is there an easier way to get from Reagan to the VRE than to take the train all the way in to Union Station? I'm going all the way to Broad Run - I've done it once before but that was just from Union Station, and see that there is, for instance, a Crystal City stop. And is there anywhere to buy VRE tix @ Reagan? (Fat chance, I know.)

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,389 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reagan Airport to VRE?

Yes, there is a couple of stops where you can get to the VRE from the Metro stops, as long as you understand that the stations are not connected in any way. The King Street Metro station is next to the VRE's Alexandria station, but you need to walk about two blocks from one to the other. I am not familiar with the Crystal City stations layout, perhaps someone else can offer some insight there.

There is no need to get the VRE tickets at Reagan. You can always get it from the machines at any VRE station. Make sure you get on the Manassas line.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
73 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reagan Airport to VRE?

The Crystal City VRE station is also about 2 blocks from the metro station. It's at Crystal Drive and 15th street located next to the water park.

Springfield, VA
Destination Expert
for Fairfax
Level Contributor
1,701 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reagan Airport to VRE?

Make sure your ticket is validated before getting on the VRE if necessary (i.e., for some multi-ride tickets, it's required that you validate for every ride) because VRE is really cracking down on un-validated riders and issuing a lot of tickets these days. If you have any issues purchasing or validating a ticket, look for one of the conductors on the track and let him/her know before boarding the train.

Bethesda, maryland
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Reagan Airport to VRE?

HI,

YOu can pick up the VRE weekdays from Union station once in the morning at 6 am, and a couple of times in the afternoon heading towards braod run. You can ask at the ticket desk where the VRE leaves and the total cost will only be $10.00 If you would like to clafifty the information you can log on to www.vre.org or call them at 703-684-1001

If you have any further questions about washington DC please drop me a line at sh34g@nih.gov

Thank you

Stephen Hosmer

Missouri
Level Contributor
33 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reagan Airport to VRE?

Yeah, I've done the Union Station/Broad Run run a couple of times - family work @ Treasury and live in Manassas. And I've heard the horror stations about unvalidated tickets. This is just a new way for me to get out there; I usually fly into IAD and get picked up. And a tip of the hat to NIH - knew a couple of guys who went from house officerships w/ me on to Bethesda. (That was back in...oh, probably the Coolidge Administration, though.) Thanks, folks!

Missouri
Level Contributor
33 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reagan Airport to VRE?

Ended up doing the Alexandria station, left VRE, and kept making left turns going out of the station and at the end of the block and made it just fine. Easy-peasy. Thanks, all.

texas
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reagan Airport to VRE?

Lemons, May I ask a question? I have been doing Amtrak from Richmond to see grandkids then to ALexandria. If the Amtrak schedule did not work out in times for me and I chose VRE, does it use the same Amtrak station in Alexandria? I think it does as I think I saw it sitting there, but want to make sure. I also know it does not go as far as Richmond, but that would be ok.

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,389 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reagan Airport to VRE?

Yes, the VRE uses the same Amtrak station as its Alexandria station.

If you already know VRE does not go to Richmond, are you plan on catching it in Fredericksburg?

Missouri
Level Contributor
33 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reagan Airport to VRE?

Yup, that line goes only as far as Fredericksburg, but it's definitely the same station.

And unable to edit previous reply, but I left the METRO station and kept making left turns to go around the block (under the train tracks) to the VRE station.

Edited: 8:37 pm, September 23, 2013
texas
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reagan Airport to VRE?

Ed, yes I would. DD lives in Richmond and so could drive me there if we ever needed to get to DC but Amtrak did not fit into schedule.Probably never would need to,but it is nice to have some options available.