We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gettysburg to Arlington cemetery or

usa98367
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
gettysburg to Arlington cemetery or

hotel first? On our first day we are coming into town we want to plan something to do. We are thinking about doing the Arlington Cemetery first. My question is should we go there before we go to our hotel or after? We are staying at the Embassy suites on 22nd.

Is the hotel easy to find after Arlington? I know my husband can find anything however we want to get to our hotel sooner rather than later. Or would it be bettr to go straight to our hotel and then metro it over? Thanks

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,155 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gettysburg to Arlington cemetery or

I would say check into your hotel and leave the car and your bags. Then use Metro to get to Arlington Cemetary. Go to the Foggy Bottom Metro station and take the blue line to Arlington Cemetary.

usa98367
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: gettysburg to Arlington cemetery or

Thank you for your help.

I am hoping to do this the day we get in.

Would go to the National Cathederal be ok with a visit to the zoo. We are going to the zoo in the am and then doing a water tour that night. Trying to fill in during the early afternoon and allowing time for some down time for the kids before the water.

Second day so far I have just the Washington Monument at 9am. Not sure what else we are planning for this day. I know we want to do the Air and Space, musuem, American History Museum, National Archives, there's one other one I can't think of.

The next day the holocaust museum or mabye up to Mount Vernon, I haven't decided yet. We thought about doing the holocaust museum the day we leave. Trying to do so much in such a short time.

Also waiting on Congressman for tickets to White House and Capital but that may be out.

Thanks again.

Glen Echo, Maryland
Level Contributor
190 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gettysburg to Arlington cemetery or

It all depends on WHEN you are driving into DC exactly. If you are coming during rush hour, all is crazy and the drive from Gettysburg will be slow and painful for your driver. Of all you mentioned, there are 2 places where it is reasonable and safe to park - the National Zoo (pandas, cheetas and seals are my fav) and Arlington Cemetary (don't miss the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier) - everything else is difficult to park. You could stop in at the zoo on your way to the hotel or also do Arlington Cemetary.

Know that the hotel is surrounded by one way streets and my brother found the parking lot "tight". It is a hike to the Metro (doable, but painful with tired kids). Also understand the taxi zone system - the boundary is 22nd street - so if going to the mall, capitol hill, etc. ALWAYS take the cab to/from 21st street and save a bundle.

4. Re: gettysburg to Arlington cemetery or

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, August 15, 2009