We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White House Tours

Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
White House Tours

I read on the White House Web Site that tours can only be arranged via your Member of Congress. Does this mean that only US Citizens can tour ? I am travelling from the UK

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
838 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White House Tours

Hi ron46,

I cut this out of the White House site about tours:

White House Tours

Public tours of the White House are available for groups of 10 or more people. Requests must be submitted through one's Member of Congress and are accepted up to six months in advance. These self-guided tours are available from 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday (excluding federal holidays), and are scheduled on a first come, first served basis approximately one month in advance of the requested date. We encourage you to submit your request as early as possible since a limited number of tours are available. All White House tours are free of charge. For the most current tour information, please call the 24-hour line at 202-456-7041. Please note that White House tours may be subject to last minute cancellation.

Check out this link to the US embassy in London: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/rctour.html . It should answer you question.

Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: White House Tours

I went on the US Embassy Website and ultimately it refers back to the White House site, so no nearer understanding how to get a tour as a non US citizen. I am trying to avoid calling from the UK the number quoted for more info - might try calling the Embassy first.

Glen Echo, Maryland
Level Contributor
190 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: White House Tours

While you do n ot have to be a citizen, all requests come from Members of Congress and only for groups of 10 or more. You might try through the embassy if you have a group, but I wouldn't count on it. It has become very difficult since 9/11.

Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: White House Tours

Weski, thanks for your help. I will try the embassy but it sounds like i might have to be content with admiring from the outside only ! Shame really but understandable is this day and age ... what a sad world.

5. Re: White House Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:21 am, August 14, 2009