We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 hours layover at Dulles transferring to domestic

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
94 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
8 hours layover at Dulles transferring to domestic

Is it enough to see the city for a little while like White House, Natl Monument, Capitol, etc?

I heard there's bus going to the city. Is it reliable?

Cheers,

Winton

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 hours layover at Dulles transferring to domestic

It may depend on what time of the day you land. If any of the travel during the trip into the city would be during our rush hour I would say think really hard about the trip especially if you are going back to the airport during evening rush hour (evening rush hour can be anywhere from 3:30 to about 7 pm). Also if you do travel into the city give yourself plenty of travel time and time to get back through security. Security at Dulles can be long it just depends.

Another option if you are interested in space is to go the Udvar-Hazy Center near Dulles. It is part of the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. It is the part of the museum that houses big object such as the Space Shuttle.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,776 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 hours layover at Dulles transferring to domestic

Note that you will clear customs and immigration at Dulles so you will need to factor time for that into your plans. (My non-US citizen husband has waited up to 2 hours to clear immigration in the past. Usually it's much less than that.) You will also need to collect your bags (even if they are checked through) and then drop them off again.

Then you will need to get into town. The bus from the airport into town is not particularly frequent (every 30-40 minutes) and takes the better part of an hour to get downtown. So if you're unlucky enough to miss a bus, you could be looking at 1.5 hours before you even get into town and another hour to get back to the airport. You will need to arrive a good hour or two before your onward flight to make sure you clear security and get to the gate in good time. (Many of the gates at Dulles require a shuttle from the main terminal.)

That potentially gives you 2 hours in Washington. The White House, Capitol and monuments are close to the end of the bus route, but it seems to me like an awful lot of hassle to walk around outside some buildings. If you are willing to pay for a taxi, the journey becomes shorter and potentially more worthwhile.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
94 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 hours layover at Dulles transferring to domestic

Thank you for your input. It really helps me a lot. Now I'm ready with some backup plans if time is not permitting me to go to Washington DC downtown area.

Cheers,

Winton

4. Re: 8 hours layover at Dulles transferring to domestic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 20, 2014