We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Embassy suites chevychase ,good choice for Memorial weekend?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
181 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Embassy suites chevychase ,good choice for Memorial weekend?

We plan to take a family trip to DC Memorial weekend . It will be my husband, myself and 2 kids, 14 and 9.

I currently have reservations at the Embassy suites in Chevy Chase. Is this a good and convenient choice to downtown?

Or would we be better off staying somewhere else?

We will drive from PA but I assume we will mainly take the metro. Is it easy to get around from the Chevy Chase area?

Thank you!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Embassy suites chevychase ,good choice for Memorial weekend?

The hotel is right over a metro stop on the red line, which will take you downtown, though you may have to change lines or walk a bit to get to some of the tourist attractions. I think parking at the Embassy Suites might be on the expensive side, so you might want to double check that. The hotel is not walking distance to any tourist attractions, but is walkable to a range of restaurants and shopping.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,669 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Embassy suites chevychase ,good choice for Memorial weekend?

I'm not sure I'd put it in the "convenient" category of things considering all the hotels in the downtown area that are much closer to the tourist attractions. But if you don't mind the time and expense of getting on Metro to get to things it's fine.

I would hope, and I think it's the case, that Metro doesn't do any track work on holiday weekends that could put a crimp in the plans.

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,681 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Embassy suites chevychase ,good choice for Memorial weekend?

No scheduled Metro track work Memorial Day weekend. Here are the closings through June.

May 18-19 - GREEN line - Greenbelt Station closed.

ORANGE line - Virgina Square & Balston stations closed.

May 25-26 - ORANGE line - West Falls Church closed.

June 1-2 RED LINE - Farragut North & Dupont Circle stations closed. (Will affect trips to the zoo.)

June 8-9 - GREEN LINE - U St. and Columbia Heights stations are closed. (Circulator bus is a good option here.)

June 15-16 - RED line - Silver Spring Station closed.

June 22-23 - RED line - Silver Spring Station closed.

June 29-30 - GREEN line - Greenbelt station closed.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
55 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Embassy suites chevychase ,good choice for Memorial weekend?

Friendship Heights is a good area to stay outside of DC if you aren't going to stay in an area "downtown" closer to the Mall. As IrishFan noted, you'll have to take the red line through Tenleytown, Van Ness, Cleveland Park, Woodley Park, and Dupont Circle to get closer to the museums, ect. I lived there for a year so as a resident it was convenient to get to and from downtown. There is a Whole Foods essentially across the streets, lots of shopping, some pretty good restaurants, ect.

5. Re: Embassy suites chevychase ,good choice for Memorial weekend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 15, 2014