We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

graduation gift for nephew going to West Point

Patchogue, New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
graduation gift for nephew going to West Point

I will be in DC over the Memorial Day Weekend. I just had a brainstorm and thought I might be able to get a meaningful graduation gift relating to the Army for my nephew who is graduating HS in June and entering West Point in July. Any suggestions? And thanks for all the wonderful help ~~Kris

Washington DC Hop-On Hop-Off...
1,381 Reviews
from $13.50*
Gettysburg Day Trip from Washington DC
336 Reviews
from $150.00*
Special Offer
International Spy Museum
219 Reviews
from $18.20*
$24.26
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,864 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: graduation gift for nephew going to West Point

Congratulations to your nephew on his graduation and acceptance into West Point. What an accomplishment!

Your gift idea is a very nice sentiment, but don't worry too much if you can't find something Army-related for your nephew's graduation. My son is graduating from college next week and is commissioning into the Army. He has been so immersed in the Army for the past 4 years as a ROTC cadet that the last thing he wants to see is anything related to the Army. The Army-immersion will be even more so for your nephew at West Point. What he might actually like is something NOT related to the Army--just to remind himself of the big non-Army world out there.

Edited: 12:13 pm, May 11, 2013
Patchogue, New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: graduation gift for nephew going to West Point

Thanks for your experience based advice. Right now because he hasn't entered yet, everything is all Army - army green jeep, my sister's Pandora bracelet - Army charms, t-shirts etc. Having never been to DC before, are there any Army Memorials, museums etc.?

near Washington DC
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: graduation gift for nephew going to West Point

Wow, Marines have Iwo Jima Memorial. Air Force have a nice memorial in VA (within sight of DC). Navy and Coast Guard have a memorial near Archives. Where is the Army? There is the Army of the Potomac (Civil War) memorial. I guess touring Vietnam, Korean and WWII war memorials would be good. But you must attend the PBS Memorial Day celebration. Locals go a day earlier and see the rehearsal on Saturday because it is much lass crowded

http://www.pbs.org/memorialdayconcert/

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,732 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: graduation gift for nephew going to West Point

How about bringing your nephew along for a visit to DC?

Patchogue, New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: graduation gift for nephew going to West Point

boy I would love to but he is soo busy with sports, working, friends etc.

6. Re: graduation gift for nephew going to West Point

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 14, 2014