We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

C&O Canal

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Patchogue, New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
C&O Canal

I am going to be in Washington DC from May 23- 27 (Memorial Day plus a few) We will be hopefully doing the Hop-on-Hop-off Trolley tour and possibly the Monuments in the Moonlight tour as well as spending time at the Smithsonian American Museum and the National Zoo. Is there a way to rent kayaks or even bike ride on the canal path if we are only using public transportation during our trip? I'd like to do something scenic, outdoorsy that is not walking. :) Thanks in advance for any help

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,940 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: C&O Canal

Do not plan on using any of the hop-on hop-off buses on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend, as the Rolling Thunder parade will make their usual route unavailable. And really, those buses are an expensive way to see the city and a very poor choice if you plan to use them for transportation.

The C&O Canal begins right in Georgetown, a few blocks from the Foggy Bottom Metro station. Or you can take any of several buses to get into Georgetown and get on the canal path. The last I knew some of the canal is empty, so any water sport would be out. I believe there is a place to rent bikes in Georgetown, but someone else will know better than I. You do not want to use Capital Bikeshare for a long-term bike rental.

near Washington DC
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: C&O Canal

Sounds like you want to get to Fletchers Boat House (4940 Canal Rd, NW)

http://www.fletcherscove.com/

Try plugging the address above into maps.google.com or wmata.com and get directions from your hotel. The place you'd really like to get to is the Canal Vistor's Center in Potomac, MD but is not public transportation friendly from DC.

http://www.nps.gov/choh/index.htm

Patchogue, New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: C&O Canal

Thank you for your responses, they are helpful!!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: C&O Canal

I haven't paid attention to details but there seem to be many kayakers on the Potomac in Georgetown. Renting a nice hybrid is great way to see the canal. About 10 mile ride to great falls which is well worth the ride.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,348 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: C&O Canal

Look up Thompson's Boathouse. It is right next to the Watergate and to Georgetown. It is a lot easier to get to than Fletchers's and has boats form the Potomac (there is no boating on the C&O Canal, but you can bicycle the full 185 miles to Cumberland, MD, if you wanted to; it's a completely dirt/sand path and quite pleasant, but it looks the same nearly the whole length. It is very, very slightly uphill going west, and (obviously) slightly downhill going back into Georgetown. Its exact beginning is at Rock Creek Parkway and Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, right at the southbound RCPkwy ramp to eastbound PA Ave.

You can get a Capital Bikeshare bike for a 3 hour C&O ride (12 miles each maybe), for example, but it would cost a few dollars, and I'm guessing, less than a regular bicycle rental, but you have to do the internet searches for that.

There are also the Rock Creek Park Trail, the Capital Crescent Trail (DC and MD) and the Mt. Vernon, Custis, and W&OD trails (VA).

6. Re: C&O Canal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, May 15, 2014