We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to park near Air & Space Museum?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to park near Air & Space Museum?

We will be driving down from NYC to DC tomorrow morning and our first stop will be the Air & Space Museum at around 10AM. Any recommendations for close parking garages? Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to park near Air & Space Museum?

Check this website:

http://washingtondc.bestparking.com/

staten island
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to park near Air & Space Museum?

We just got back from our D.C. trip. We only spent a short time at A&S Museum, so we found metered parking, but there is a garage on the same street. We parked on School St. SW, a few blocks directly south of the museum.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to park near Air & Space Museum?

really- don't. your best bet is metro... park at an outside metro in the burbs and take transit in. Save the 30 minutes you will take to find parking to enjoy the museum.

if you do drive - there are pay for parking slots south of the museum on the other side of independence. but you have to pay, and without the app its probably not worth the stress

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
391 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to park near Air & Space Museum?

I am curious about the same type of parking. We plan on getting into DC around 7am so we can get tickets to the mint. We were originally planning on taking the metro but the sites details about parking at the metro lots say that all day is 10:30am-?.

I also read that there are some early bird parking prices for all day parking, would parking still be tough to find if we arrive at 6-7am?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,108 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to park near Air & Space Museum?

There is no mint in DC. The Bureau of Engraving and Printing makes paper money. A mint produces coins.

Metro parking lots open far earlier than 10:30AM, so I don't know what you are seeing. But Metro parking lots also fill up very early. If you plan to be in DC by 7AM you should have no problem parking at a Metro lot. I assume you are talking about a workday, as Metro doesn't start running until later during the weekend. And the Bureau of Engraving and Printing isn't open on weekends or holidays.

Mentioned in this post
Bureau of Engraving and Printing
Bureau of Engraving and...
869 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
391 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to park near Air & Space Museum?

ahhhhh, I wasn't sure what the difference between a mint and the Bureau of Engraving was. I thought it was just a fancy name for it.

When I go to the link below it says

All day spaces: 1,268 (Fees collected upon exit, 10:30 am to Metrorail system closing)

wmata.com/rail/parking/parking_detail.cfm…

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,108 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to park near Air & Space Museum?

That means that you do not pay a fee if you leave the parking lot before 10:30AM, because that is when the fees start being charged. Those parenthesis are important. The parking lot opens earlier.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
391 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to park near Air & Space Museum?

ahhhh that makes sense.

Last thing, I was looking on some parking websites and there is mention that you can park at garages in DC and if you get there before a certain time you get the early bird discount. However it doesn't list what time that is or how much an all day rate would be.

Any ideas on that one?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,108 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to park near Air & Space Museum?

There is probably no general rule for what makes it "early bird". Each lot that offers such a thing may pick their own time. The one I pass down the street, I think it is 10AM.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
391 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to park near Air & Space Museum?

last last thing, Price range? Am I looking at 20-30$ or more like $50 for all day?

And I assume finding parking at a garage should not be an issue at 6-7am?

When you park at a garage in NYC they jam cars in and if you are first one in it is sometimes tough to get out. Are the garages in DC like this too or are they just normal parking garages where you are never blocked in?

Mentioned in this post