We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 1/2 days in DC....HELP please!!

Santa Fe, Texas
Level Contributor
46 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
1 1/2 days in DC....HELP please!!

I am taking a VERY short trip to DC, but I want to jam as much into this trip as I can. I am taking my son and step daughter who are both 10. They are interested in museums and the zoo, but I also want to show them some monuments. My son's main goal is to see Oscar the Grouch lol and my step daughter and I both want to see the pandas. Is it possible to do the museums and zoo? What are some things that are must see? Is DC safe at night? I was thinking about going to the Lincoln Memorial at night. HELP!! Ha ha this Texas momma is going crazy!!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,153 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 1/2 days in DC....HELP please!!

First, take a deep breath. No sense in coming off as hysterical over something that is supposed to be fun and enjoyable.

Next, give us some more details so we can try to plan it out for you. What are you doing exactly, when you say 1 1/2 days?

Are you flying in to town? Stopping in as some part of a longer trip? When are you arriving, and how are you getting here? Where will you stay?

Santa Fe, Texas
Level Contributor
46 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 1/2 days in DC....HELP please!!

Ha ha sorry didn't mean to sound hysterical, in reality I am not to stressed about it, I just want to have as much fun as possible.

We are driving in for a wedding and will arrive in DC on Wednesday afternoon. I am not sure where we will be staying...still looking at hotels. I would like to go to DC on Wednesday and do the memorials. We have all day Thursday to be tourists so that is when I will need to do the bulk of our stuff then. We are leaving Friday afternoon so I think that we could maybe do the zoo that morning. Like I said it is going to be a short trip lol.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,805 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 1/2 days in DC....HELP please!!

Here is what I would propose

Whenever you get there Wed afternoon, head to the White House for outside Photos. Then cab it to the FDR Memorial and start walking there in a clockwise pattern until you end at the WW2 Memorial and then walk up to the Smithsonian Metro Station.

Thursday Morning

Get up and head to the Capitol (try to get timed tickets for the first tour). Or just do an outside photo shot. I would also think about Arlington Cemetery first thing here and trying to hit the Capitol (outside only on Wed afternoon). Just not sure how 10 year olds would react to the Cemetery.

Then hit 2 Smithsonians (Oscar is in the American History Museum). Both kids would also probably like the Air & Space. I would also recommend the Portrait Gallery which is open later than the rest of the museums.

Friday Morning

Hit the Zoo as early as possible. Maybe even drive to the Zoo and leave from there.

Mentioned in this post
White House
White House
6,787 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Santa Fe, Texas
Level Contributor
46 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 1/2 days in DC....HELP please!!

Thanks so much for the help! I have never even heard of the Portrait Gallery but it seems like it would be a great place to go. I had been thinking about the Cemetery and watching the changing of the guards.

Will our walk from the FDR memorial have us go by the Vietnam memorial?

Santa Fe, Texas
Level Contributor
46 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 1/2 days in DC....HELP please!!

I have narrowed our hotel choices down to The Americana and The Highlander. I have read the reviews and they both seem to be nice hotels, but was wondering if anyone here had stayed in them before or know which is the better of the two.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,805 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 1/2 days in DC....HELP please!!

Yes. The walk I proposed would bring you right past Vietnam Memorial

Ive stayed at Americana and would recommend it.

Santa Fe, Texas
Level Contributor
46 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 1/2 days in DC....HELP please!!

Thanks so much for your help. I am so excited for this trip!

8. Re: 1 1/2 days in DC....HELP please!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 28, 2014