We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How busy are the museums etc at weekends in March?

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
374 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How busy are the museums etc at weekends in March?

I'm planning a trip to New York and Washington for March 2014 with 3 days in NY and 4 in DC . My initial itinerary has the Washington leg spanning the weekend, including the first day of the Cherry Blossom Festival.

Would this make visiting the monuments and museums ( Museum of American History, Museum of American Art and Crime and Punishment Museum) a problem?

How crowded are they likely to be? Is midweek less busy?

I could swap the legs round, spending Tue - Fri in Washington(which is more expensive), but it might be worth it to be able to tour the museums when it's quieter.

Or I am I overthinking things?

Grateful for any advice or suggestions please.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,595 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How busy are the museums etc at weekends in March?

If you are planning on visiting museums in NYC, they also have busy days. In all honesty, in the early part of March I would not expect enormous crowds any day of the week, unless there is some extra-special exhibit. No one can predict when the entire school district of somewhere might show up the same day you do. Just plan your trip the way you want and deal with the people who choose the same day. You may need more patience some days, but you will still get to see things. If there is something you really, really want to see: come early and head directly to that.

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,326 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How busy are the museums etc at weekends in March?

Check closing days of museums/attractions you are interested in in NY. DC are open 7 days a week. March/Cherry Blossom will be crazily crowded weekdays and weekends. It will still be great - just accept that there will be crowds.

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
374 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How busy are the museums etc at weekends in March?

NY isn't a problem, I know the city well and don't plan on visiting museums on this trip. I'm confused now thoughbetween Darrell6t's view not to expect enormous crowds and Victoria m's crazily crowded....

Thanks to both though for good advice about going with the flow.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,595 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How busy are the museums etc at weekends in March?

You said you would be here only for the first day of the Cherry Blossom Festival, though I am not sure that the dates for 2014 have even been announced yet. I thought that meant you would be here near the middle of March, before the crowds expecting blossoms start showing up. Victoria's remarks are more about when the festival is in full swing, near the end of March and into the beginning of April.

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,326 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How busy are the museums etc at weekends in March?

From about the second week in March through April, thousands of school kids are either on spring break and visiting DC with families, or on school trips to DC. It is very crowded. May through June are slightly less crowded, but still popular. I have a vacation rental apt. and I pretty much book up 9-12 months ahead for March - June.

It needn't crush your enjoyment - just know what you're getting into. There is still plenty of wonderful things to experience.

Metro will be crowded. The most popular museums - Air & Space, American History - will have swarms of kids. Also Crime & Punishment & probably Newseum - Capitol & White House tours may be booked. (The kids don't really spend any time looking at things or reading anything - just taking photos and posting them online, so with patience you can get up close to anything you really want to explore.)

But there are plenty of other places & attractions. The art galleries are not usually swarmed. And American Art is open later - after the kids have left for the food courts!

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
374 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How busy are the museums etc at weekends in March?

Thanks for the clarification and the information. My trip is scheduled from 18 - 25 March, and I found a reference online that Cherry Blossom festival is provisionally slated to open on 23 March of that year.

Anyway, I've decided to swap the legs of my trip so I shall be in Washington at the beginning of the trip - if only to stop me obsessing for the next 15 months!!

Thanks again to everybody for their help.

7. Re: How busy are the museums etc at weekends in March?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 28, 2014