We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in June

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel in June

Hi all,

My bf and I are visiting Washington for 2 nights in June.

We arrive via Amtrak from NYC on Monday June 3rd at approx 10pm and depart from DCA for Boston at 3:30pm on Wednesday June 5th. I know this doesn't give us much time in Washington unfortunately, so we'll just see what we can fit in.

We're wanting see the White House (I know we can't go in), the major monuments around the National Mall (from the Lincoln Memorial to the Capitol, happy to do a trolley tour for this) and probably visit the National Museum of American History and the Air and Space museum.

We'd like to keep our hotel costs to $250/night or less and I've found the Washington Plaza Hotel for just above this at $229 + tax.

Google maps makes it look relatively quick and easy to get to what we want to see by foot and metro - is this correct? Would this be a good choice for what we want to do or are there better options within our price range?

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
White House
White House
6,858 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
National Mall
National Mall
6,792 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Lincoln Memorial
Lincoln Memorial
26,552 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
National Museum of American History
National Museum of...
4,331 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington Plaza Hotel
Washington Plaza Hotel
2,811 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Hotel Hive
Hotel Hive
#2 of 142 hotels in Washington DC
The Jefferson, Washington DC
The Jefferson, Washington DC
#4 of 142 hotels in Washington DC
The Avery Georgetown
The Avery Georgetown
#6 of 142 hotels in Washington DC
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,839 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in June

Nothing wrong with the Washington Plaza, though there are certainly hotels in better locations for your trip. It would be a fairly long walk to The Mall from that hotel. I would recommend taking a taxi to the Lincoln Memorial and then head east touring some monuments and memorials, dropping by the American History Museum and Air & Space along the way. That would be a good day, unless you really hurry.

Mentioned in this post
Washington Plaza Hotel
Washington Plaza Hotel
2,811 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Lincoln Memorial
Lincoln Memorial
26,552 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,111 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in June

As Darrell indicates, there's no need to go to the extra expense of a trolley tour. As long as you are able to walk a couple of miles (slowly, if you like), you can tour the monuments on your own. In fact, that would be a good evening activity in June and, thus, keep your days free for visiting museums.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in June

Thanks for the comments - neither of us have a problem with a bit of walking! Getting a taxi to a starting point is a good idea, then just walking from there. And I didn't think of the fact it stays light until quite late so we can stay out during the evening.

I can see there are other hotels closer to the mall however I can't find anything at the same price as the WPH at the moment so I think I'll book it and keep an eye out for anything better over the coming months.

Are there decent food options around this hotel for breakfast and dinner (are we likely to find anything if we arrive a bit after 10pm?). Or is there dining along the mall? Just looking for things like a coffee and a muffin type breakfast, sandwiches or burgers for lunch and any type of food really for dinner.

Edited: 6:44 pm, January 05, 2013
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,839 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in June

There are places to get meals within a few blocks of that hotel. Some may only be open during work days, as you are many offices nearby. But some residential too. Except for lunch, there are no meal options on The Mall. You will have to go a few blocks off to find much for breakfast or dinner.

When you start reading this forum, as you should, you will see that visiting the monuments at night, after dark, can be wonderful.

Edited: 7:18 pm, January 05, 2013
Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel in June

Thanks again, lunch at the mall is all we need, we can explore other areas for breakfast and dinner.

When I was looking at trolley tours I came across a 'monuments by night' tour so doing this is definately on the agenda (happy to do it ourselves though).

I've actually been to Washington before but it was just a day trip from NYC with my parents in Nov 2010. We did a trolley tour then which was fine for our very quick 9hr visit but as I have more time this trip, I do plan to visit the monuments and museums more closely and do a lot more walking around to do so.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel in June

Bumping this up...

I've found the Lombardy Hotel coming in at our budget with the TripAdvisor special, and it's slightly cheaper than the Washington Plaza Hotel.

So now I'm looking at Washington Plaza Hotel (Superior Queen room) vs Lombardy (Superior King room).

The Lombardy looks slightly closer to the Mall area, but a few of the reviews mention that it's a bit of a business/university area so there's not much in the way of dining or anything? Is it any worse that the area around the Washington Plaza?

Mentioned in this post
Washington Plaza Hotel
Washington Plaza Hotel
2,811 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Hotel Lombardy
Hotel Lombardy
2,282 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,839 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel in June

Both are in areas where you will find meals and people on the streets because it neither are in an office wasteland after hours. The Lombardy is closer to The Mall and to a Metro station. And there are places to eat nearby for all meals because it is right near George Washington University and college students like to eat. Washington Plaza is near the booming Logan Circle area with lots of meal choices, but you need to walk away from The Mall to find those and that's not what you want to do when getting breakfast. In terms of location, the Lombardy has an edge, but neither hotel would be a mistake.

Mentioned in this post
George Washington's Mount Vernon
George Washington's...
3,960 Reviews
Mount Vernon, VA
Washington Plaza Hotel
Washington Plaza Hotel
2,811 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel in June

Again, thanks for your comments!

I've booked the Lombardy. Slightly cheaper, a bigger room and slightly closer to the Mall and metro.

9. Re: Hotel in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 09, 2014