We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Union station holiday model trains--there or not?

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
280 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Union station holiday model trains--there or not?

I have seen comments that Union Station is still recovering from the earthquake and some parts of the normal Christmas displays are not there. Is the big model train display there? If so does anyone know how long it will be there? Thank you.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,102 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Union station holiday model trains--there or not?

I used Google to find the answer: not there. See note on this page: norway.org/News_and_events/…

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,678 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Union station holiday model trains--there or not?

The Botanic Garden has a smaller train display thru New Year's http://www.usbg.gov/exhibits

Edited: 4:30 pm, December 29, 2012
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
163 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Union station holiday model trains--there or not?

It is there. Saw it last night.

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Union station holiday model trains--there or not?

What earthquake?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,102 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Union station holiday model trains--there or not?

The earthquake of August 2011. There is still repair work being done on the ceiling of Union Station, the last time I was there a month ago or so. But the note I found said the usual train display was in disrepair and would not be out this year. But maybe they have another display. I haven't been over there this holiday season.

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,910 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Union station holiday model trains--there or not?

Model trains at both Union Station (don't know if it's running this year) and the Botanic gardens are one of those things that sound much better in concept than execution.

Really kind of o.k. - but never what you imagine them to be - so not a big miss. Botanic gardens has loads more stuff going on - besides the extraordinary regular collections, Christmas displays throughout. The trains are alright but not worth more than a ten minute wait in line. And at most times it is 30+ min. so just skip it.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Union station holiday model trains--there or not?

I was at Union Station a few days ago. Yes there is a model train, but it is not the Norwegian train set. Also this model train set is smaller than the Norwegian one.

Edited: 12:25 am, December 30, 2012
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Union station holiday model trains--there or not?

As others have said, there is a model train in the main hall at Union Station this year. It is neat, but not particularly big.

After being absent last year, the Norwegian Christmas Tree is also back. Instead of in the main hall, this year it is outside near the entrance to the Metro Station.

Enjoy!

dctravel

Springfield, VA
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Union station holiday model trains--there or not?

I commute through Union Station every day and, while I enjoy the displays there, I wouldn't call them a destination site in DC. They are nice to visit, however, if you're passing through the station for travel or bringing a large group to the food court, for example.

10. Re: Union station holiday model trains--there or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, January 03, 2014