We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

neighborhood -- Harris Teeter at 1350 Potomac Ave SE?

Cupertino, CA
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
neighborhood -- Harris Teeter at 1350 Potomac Ave SE?

I am looking for a vacation rental in Washington DC where we plan to stay for about a week in mid-Apr 2013.

I am looking at an apartment that is descibed as being in the building "above" the Harris Teeter at 1350 Potomac Ave SE.

The location seems good in that it is close to the Potomac Ave Metro and to the grocery store. But I don't know anything about the neighborhood.

Would you say it is suitable for a family with middle school children? For instance, would we feel comfortable walking back from the metro after dark? Would we feel comfortable walking to a nearby restaurant for dinner?

Thanks very much for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: neighborhood -- Harris Teeter at 1350 Potomac Ave SE?

Not a terrible neighborhood but not super safe. There is a huge housing project right next to the Teeter. I live nearby but I only drive there. I wouldn't walk around that project at night.

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,498 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: neighborhood -- Harris Teeter at 1350 Potomac Ave SE?

There isn't much around there besides the HT either - though you are about .5 miles to restaurants on Barracks row - and near the metro. So it wouldn't be my first pick, but probably ok. It really depends on how long you are staying and your own family dynamics.

But there are vacation rental apts. in much better locations - check vrbo.com and homeaway.com. Neighborhoods of Columbia Heights, Dupont Circle, Woodley Park, Capitol Hill, particularly near Eastern Market.

Definitely search now - April fills up quickly.

Mentioned in this post
Columbia
Columbia
South Carolina
Dupont Circle
Dupont Circle
326 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Woodley Park Guest House
Woodley Park Guest House
578 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Capitol Hill
Capitol Hill
2,973 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Eastern Market
Eastern Market
451 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,187 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: neighborhood -- Harris Teeter at 1350 Potomac Ave SE?

I would keep looking, especially if you want to walk around.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
117 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: neighborhood -- Harris Teeter at 1350 Potomac Ave SE?

I agree with the previous posts. The Harris Teeter store is located on the first floor of a building that's a few years old. There are nice apartments on the floors above. There's a parking garage in the building, and the building is close to the Potomac Ave Metro.

I live on Capitol Hill and shop at that HT store, but I honestly wouldn't feel safe walking between the apartment you're considering and the restaurants and bars on Barracks Row [about 5 blocks away] after dark. If you're looking for a rental on Capitol Hill, try to find something closer to the Capitol South or Eastern Market metro stops.

Mentioned in this post
Capitol Hill
Capitol Hill
2,973 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Eastern Market
Eastern Market
451 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Cupertino, CA
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: neighborhood -- Harris Teeter at 1350 Potomac Ave SE?

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions.

I have no great desire to be in any specific neighborhood. I just want to near public transportation so I can get to and from the Mall easily and quickly, and I would like to be at a spot from where a grocery store and restaurants are easily walkable.

I am now looking at Columbia Heights, near the Pho 14 restaurant on Park Road NW, a spot that seems to fit the bill.

Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Columbia
Columbia
South Carolina
washington dc
Level Contributor
4,498 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: neighborhood -- Harris Teeter at 1350 Potomac Ave SE?

I live in Columbia Heights, a few blocks from there, so of course I think you will enjoy the location.

Mentioned in this post
Columbia
Columbia
South Carolina
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
66 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: neighborhood -- Harris Teeter at 1350 Potomac Ave SE?

I've been living in the DC area for 24 years. I was in DC this week and drove past the Harris Teeter you mentioned. I was surprised to see a Harris Teeter in such a transitional neighborhood. The previous posters are correct - it's not an unsafe area, but not entirely safe either, and the walk down Pennsylvania Ave towards Capitol Hill or towards Barracks Row would be a bit sketchy, and i wouldn't recommend it at night AT ALL. Then again, Columbia Heights isn't 100% safe either. Woodley Park might be a good chocie - on the red line of the metro, safe, and with restaurants nearby.

Mentioned in this post
Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania
United States
Capitol Hill
Capitol Hill
2,973 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Columbia
Columbia
South Carolina
Woodley Park Guest House
Woodley Park Guest House
578 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
washington dc
Level Contributor
4,498 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: neighborhood -- Harris Teeter at 1350 Potomac Ave SE?

Murders in Woodley Park Metro = 1

Murders in Columbia Heights Metro = 0

The idea of 100% safe is just silly.

Mentioned in this post
Woodley Park Guest House
Woodley Park Guest House
578 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Columbia
Columbia
South Carolina
9. Re: neighborhood -- Harris Teeter at 1350 Potomac Ave SE?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, January 01, 2014