We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with hotel recommendation

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hudson, NH
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Please help with hotel recommendation

Hi and thanks in advance for your help. Looking for a nice, reasonably priced (under $200/nite) hotel in DC in mid-April. Want to take the subway from Reagan/National to hotel and around town to all the museums and monuments etc. Any other tips for first time visitors are welcome.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,725 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help with hotel recommendation

My best tip is to start reading on this forum, especially the trip reports (which have been few lately, but do a search on "report" to find some.) And try looking at the top right for the Top Questions. That will help you get some ideas for hotels.

Level Contributor
34,474 posts
888 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help with hotel recommendation

We loved the location of The Sofitel. :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
717 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help with hotel recommendation

The hotels clustered around the Metro Center (Red/Blue/Orange) Metro station and the Gallery Place-Chinatown (Red/Yellow/Green) Metro (Penn Quarter/Chinatown area) are very convenient location-wise - I tend to recommend those areas as a good "home base" for exploring DC. In those clusters, there's quite a bit of variety as to price point, so look at each hotel carefully to compare it to your needs. (Even the pricier hotels have deals sometimes, so I'm listing a variety of hotels, including the ones that generally are more expensive.) The Marriott Metro Center, JW Marriott, Willard, and W Hotel are some of the ones by Metro Center and the east side of the White House. By Gallery Place-Chinatown (which is not far from Metro Center), hotels include the Hotel Monaco, Marriott Courtyard, Renaissance, and Grand Hyatt. A little further down in price point but still near the Gallery Place Metro are the Red Roof Inn, Hampton Inn, etc. (the hotels more around 6th or 5th Streets around H Street or Mass Ave.). My visiting relatives, when not staying with me, tend to stay at the Marriott Courtyard or Monaco and have had good experiences.

The downtown/north or west side of the White House/Farragut West/Farragut North/McPherson Square hotel clusters are also good location-wise - such as the Sofitel that syrahgirl mentioned. Others include the Hay-Adams, St. Regis, Mayflower, and Capitol Hilton.

(When deciding on one neighborhood over another, here are a few thoughts: Penn Quarter/Chinatown is a fun area to stay in if you are looking for a neighborhood where stuff is going on in the evenings as well as during the day - b/c of all the restaurants and cultural venues, the area is bustling till pretty late into the night. Same with neighborhoods like Dupont Circle. By contrast, the downtown/Farragut/White House area tends to be quieter at night - not unsafe, just quiet. You might prefer quiet, or you might prefer bustling. :))

Wear good walking shoes (esp. if walking around the Tidal Basin and Mall - you can taxi there, but once there you'll be walking a lot, and you may have to walk back a fair distance if you can't find a taxi right away) and wear sunscreen - and consider wearing a hat when walking around places like the Mall, which is very sunny and shadeless on a sunny day!

Enjoy your trip! April is a great time to visit. :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,725 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help with hotel recommendation

Thegreatlizby is a little behind the times. The Red Roof Inn became a Fairfield Inn and Suites a couple of years ago. But the location at 500 H Street NW is good, as she mentions. Also there are multiple Marriott Courtyard hotels in DC, The one near Gallery Place/Chinatown is the Courtyard Convention Center. An excellent location.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help with hotel recommendation

I've posted this for another person before. Here's a link to a bnb type of place. My family and I personally stayed at her place before and she has 5 stars everywhere! Very helpful, very nice and I would stay there again next time we go to DC. I highly recommend her. And you can even cook dinner there and she has a fully stocked kitchen. Also there's parking at her place and it doesn't cost extra for parking per night, which is a big plus for me.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4726

Hudson, NH
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help with hotel recommendation

Thanks everyone - it looks like the Sofetel.

7. Re: Please help with hotel recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, December 17, 2013