We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe Places To Stay In The Washington DC Area

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Safe Places To Stay In The Washington DC Area

My wife and I are planning a vacation to the Washington DC area in mid-Sept. I would like to stay near one of the Metra lines but have no idea which areas are safe. Any help or suggestions would really be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Hotel Hive
Hotel Hive
#3 of 146 hotels in Washington DC
The Jefferson, Washington DC
The Jefferson, Washington DC
#5 of 146 hotels in Washington DC
The Avery Georgetown
The Avery Georgetown
#6 of 146 hotels in Washington DC
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe Places To Stay In The Washington DC Area

Hello RB, as a DC police officer, I can assure you you'll have many safe options here in our city. Do you have a specific area in mind, to help narrow it down? Generally speaking, most any hotel in the areas surrounding the National Mall will be safe, clean and tourist-friendly.

If you can narrow your search down a little bit, I'd be happy to give some suggestions. What are some things you are planning to do while you're here? Are you looking to stay close to the Mall or venture out to experience the culture of DC that ISN'T federally owned?? :)

Here is our Metro website, if that helps:

www.wmata.com

Mentioned in this post
National Mall
National Mall
7,152 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe Places To Stay In The Washington DC Area

Regarding where I’ve considered staying.

I'm pretty much open at this time. I looked at hotels surrounding the capital and found them a bit pricy so I decided to look into the surrounding area preferably close to the metro.

I'm open to accross the river in Virginia or Maryland.

Mentioned in this post
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,169 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe Places To Stay In The Washington DC Area

What price range are you looking at? It will help to know in order to give you some recommendations.

USA
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe Places To Stay In The Washington DC Area

If you want to choose Virginia, then choose something near a metro in Arlington or Alexandria. They'll be safe.

You can also feel safe if you choose something in the Bethesda/Rockville Corridor.

Silver Spring area might be iffy,

Avoid the cheap hotels on upper New York Avenue or east of the city in Maryland.

Mentioned in this post
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
Alexandria
Alexandria
Virginia
Bethesda
Bethesda
Montgomery County, MD
Rockville
Rockville
Montgomery County, MD
Silver Spring
Silver Spring
Montgomery County, MD
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe Places To Stay In The Washington DC Area

The "downtown" Silver Spring area is very safe and there are several hotels there with lots of new restaurants and shopping. There is a very new Courtyard by Marriott only a couple of blocks from the Metro and in a shopping area with many dining options.

Mentioned in this post
Silver Spring
Silver Spring
Montgomery County, MD
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,225 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe Places To Stay In The Washington DC Area

I'd recommend Crystal City (Arlington), VA. Do a search in the forum for Crystal City and you'll find lots of helpful advice on hotels, restaurants and logistics. The area is safe, convenient to the city (especially the National Mall - 3 metro stops away) and also has some decent dining options. Enjoy your stay!

Mentioned in this post
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
National Mall
National Mall
7,152 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe Places To Stay In The Washington DC Area

Thanks for the Crystal City tip.

I've also looked at the SpringField area at the end of the Blue Line to get a little farther from the traffic. Does anyone have any information on SpringField? Is it safe? Is the commute too far?

Does anyone have any recommendations for Hotels in either Cryatal City or Springfield. I would like to stay under $250 a night but I don't know the normal rates in this area and would go higher to stay someplace nice.

Thanks everyone for your help

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe Places To Stay In The Washington DC Area

I live in the Crystal City/Pentagon City area and have for most of the 13 years I have lived in the DC area.

Crystal City is a sub-section of Arlington, VA. The area is anywhere from 1 - 2 miles from DC and National Airport. There are Metro stops in both Crystal City and Pentagon City.

Crystal City Metro Stop (most hotels are closer to this stop)

stationmasters.com/System_Map/…crystalc.html

*** Three stops to DC (“L’enfant Plaza)

*** Three stops to Arlington Cemetery

Pentagon City Metro Stop

stationmasters.com/System_Map/…pentcity.html

*** Two stops to DC (“L’enfant Plaza)

*** Two stops to Arlington Cemetery

There are lots of office building and most are connected to the "Crystal City Underground" These are shops/restaurants that run the length of Crystal City. Most of these places are not open on the weekends as they service the office building in the area. However, this is a lot more than just the underground in the area.

LODGING

There are TONS of hotels. Embassy Suites, Hyatt, Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn, three Marriott’s and LOTS of others. Post back any hotels you are looking at and we can comment. I recommemd any of the hotels in the area except the Holiday Inn during spring as many school trips stay at the HI and it is a bit loud for my taste.

DINING

There are 4 "areas" for dining in Crystal City/Pentagon City.

1. Crystal City Proper

This includes the Underground (most not open post 6pm and weekends) and Crystal Drive. Crystal Drive has undergone a nice transformation recently and has opened a bunch of great restaurants that are open on weekends and nights. Some include McCormick and Schmicks (seafood), Oyemel (Tapas), Baileys (Sports - good for kids), Ruth Chris (steak and overlooks National Airport), Charlie Chiangs (Chinese - good for kids), Legal Seafood (yup -- good guess - seafood). There are others, but these are the ones I can think off of the top of my head.

2. 23rd Street Crystal City

On 23rd Street in Crystal City there are a BUNCH of restaurants. This street is affectionately known as “Restaurant Row”. LOTS of ethnic restaurants. Some faves include Bonsai Grill (sushi – GREAT people), Crystal City Sports Pub (Sports Illustrated top 20 best sports bar, GREAT wings, good for kids believe it or not as there is a kids menu and the food is good but not too expensive), Café Italia (best of the three Italian restaurants)Tutto Italino (less upscale than Cafe and better for kids with more pizza and subs on the menu). There are a bunch of others to meet anyone’s taste.

3. Pentagon City Mall/Centre

There is a great Mall in Pentagon City – just blocks from Crystal City. To give you some context, I live one block from Pentagon City Mall and 3 blocks from Crystal City – all EASY walks. The mall has typical mall food fare including a food court and a few sit down chain restaurants. Pentagon Centre Mall – across the street has a Mexican chain (cannot remember the name), Starbucks, and California Pizza Kitchen - all good for kids. In Pentagon City Mall there is a food court and a Johnny Rockets (50’s style hamburger place) and Ruby Tuesdays.

4. Pentagon Row

A relatively new area (past 1 ½ years) is called Pentagon Row. This is on the other side of Pentagon City Mall. This is a favorite area of mine. In the winter they build an ice skating rink. Year round there are some GREAT restaurants. Faves include Asia Bistro (Japanese fusion and sushi), Lebanese Taverna (Lebanese), Sine (Irish – pronounced Sha Nay), Noodles (chain noodles etc), and Champps (Sports - good for kids)There are others that I just have not tried.

SHOPPING

You can shop at the Underground Shops, Pentagon City Mall, Pentagon Centre Mall, or Pentagon Row.

SIGHTSEEING

Ummmmmmmmm, Crystal City is not really an area for sightseeing. I think that Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) has a museum in Pentagon City.

SUMMARY

Crystal City/Pentagon City is a great place to stay and visit DC as it has easy access to DC. There are lots of places to stay, eat, and shop.

Mentioned in this post
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
L'Enfant Plaza
L'Enfant Plaza
102 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Crystal City Sports Pub
Crystal City Sports Pub
404 Reviews
Arlington, VA
Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,169 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe Places To Stay In The Washington DC Area

Yes, Springfield is a safe area to stay in. Some hotels there that provide a free shuttle to the Franconia/Springfield Metro station:

Comfort Inn Washington DC/Springfield; Hampton Inn W ashington DC/Springfield; Hilton Springfield; Holiday Inn Express Springfield

Mentioned in this post
Franconia
Franconia
White Mountains, NH
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Hilton Springfield
Hilton Springfield
942 Reviews
Springfield, VA
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe Places To Stay In The Washington DC Area

You are going to have a much longer metro ride into the city from Springfeild (the end of the line) than Crystal City or Rosslyn, so keep that in mind when weighing prices of hotel options.

From Crystal City to Rosslyn is 11 min, if I remember correctly from my commute there. The metro website has a time calculator that lets you see how long the ride is between stations. Now it isn't totally accurate if the route involves transferring trains (bc of wait time on platform for hte train), but it will give you a good idea.

See the trip planner on the far right

http://www.wmata.com/