We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice from DC foodies

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Advice from DC foodies

My wife and I will be visiting DC for the first time, and are looking for a few spots for lunch/dinner. We'll be in the areas around the Holocaust Museum, Spy Museum and Crime Museum & the Old Post Office and hope to find some choices within walking distance. We're not looking for high-end dining, just some good solid grub (from burgers & sandwiches to chicken or fish & chips).

As many suggestions as possible would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Utrecht
Level Contributor
188 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Advice from DC foodies

I agree with Smeddy, Elephant & Castle seems to check your boxes.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
34 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Advice from DC foodies

I think the question that needs to be asked is: are there any particular types of food that would interest you? I agree with Matt B though that you have to experience some ethnic food while in DC. I hope that's in the plans.

I'm not a huge fan of Elephant and Castle, particularly with other options in that neighborhood I find a bit better, but I won't tell you not to go there. I also agree with DCer30's suggestion of PI. I was a big fan when I went there. Really solid selection of beers, too. And trust me when I say you can split a pie. Those deep dishes are filling.

Edited: 8:02 am, November 16, 2012
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Advice from DC foodies

I agree that Elephant & Castle isn't a foodie choice (it is a good place for beer and a forgetable burger, however). Next door, however, is del Frisco's. It is fairly new, a bit more upscale, and has some interesting variety for lunch. Before you go into E&C, check their menu first.

I'd also suggest you check Poste near the spy museum. I think of it as more of a foodie choice for lunch.

Maryland
Level Contributor
135 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Advice from DC foodies

While it can get a bit pricey depending on what you order, I'd recommend Rasika for fantastic Indian food.

If cost is a concern, most restaurants in Penn Quarter (Rasika included) have a pre-theatre menu where if you go for a slightly earlier dinner (usually arriving before 6:30 or 7) you can get a three course prix-fixe meal. They've never asked to see my event tickets, its just seems like a slightly-snootier way to say "early bird special."

15. Re: Advice from DC foodies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 26, 2013