We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington DC Jan 2013 - presidential inauguration

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Washington DC Jan 2013 - presidential inauguration

Hi,

I am a student from Australia and I am going to be in the States in January and I really want to go to the presidential inauguration in D.C. I know that there will be a lot going on at the time, but how busy do you think it will be? And will all the museums, memorials, ect, in the days leading up to and after be open?

I was also looking at the Amtrak website and they have bumper up there prices to at least $149 each way. This is a bit on the pricey side for me, as I am a student and travelling on a budget. I looked up buses which are much cheaper ($30 each way) but they take 4.5 hours. Are there any other options?

My only other main concern is going there, and it being absolutely packed and overcrowded with people.

I am looking at going from around the 18-22 of Jan

Thanks

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,601 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington DC Jan 2013 - presidential inauguration

The Smithsonian museums should be open all the days, including Inauguration Day. But the events will attract a lot of people so things will be crowded. Hotel rooms will be difficult to get and will cost more than usual. Amtrak trains must already be getting booked up if the price is that high for a regular train. Did you look at coach fares on the regional trains and they are already that high? If you are on a budget no need for the Acela. (I'm assuming you are coming from NYC, but you didn't actually say where you were coming from other than Australia.) Unless you are crazy enough to drive, the bus is the only other cheaper alternative. And it takes at least 4 hours. Their are flights but they will be more expensive than the train.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
57,139 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington DC Jan 2013 - presidential inauguration

Yes, it's crowded. 500,000 or so go to the Inauguration. Many from out of town, so the hotels are already booked up and/or the rates might be out range for a student budget.

From mention of Amtrak and bus I gather you want to come to DC from....somewhere else. Presumably not by bus from Australia. :)

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,515 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Washington DC Jan 2013 - presidential inauguration

I'm assuming you are coming from New York since you mention both Amtrak and the buses. The buses are a good deal and a popular way to get between NYC and D.C. My college age kids and their friends take the bus when they go to NYC. There are some unreliable buses that travel this route, but a few good bus lines that are reliable are Vamoose, Bolt Bus and Megabus.

You'd better get your accommodations squared away first before you pay for a bus.. I was going to recommend a popular budget hotel for you but I saw that their rates, which usually range around $100 or less, are $250 per night for the days around the inauguration!

San jose Ca
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Washington DC Jan 2013 - presidential inauguration

…about.com/od/…InaugTransport.htm

Check out local groups in the NYC area, that might have charters.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Washington DC Jan 2013 - presidential inauguration

A point well made re Amtrak and its pretty disgraceful pricing, Its fares from January 17th to 21st went up weeks ago! Even the earliest trains at 3-15 am. It's an outrage and I am pursung it with Amtrak - though at the moment not getting too far. Next move, the media! Maggie Hall, Washington, DC.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Washington DC Jan 2013 - presidential inauguration

Re immediate previous message: what I need to add is that these inflated fares are also for trains from DC to NY! And at times it's cheaper to take the Acela.

San jose Ca
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Washington DC Jan 2013 - presidential inauguration

There are still some bargains in hotels, but you really have to search. Outside of DC in Va or Md, if you don't mind traveling. I made my air and hotel within days of the election. Now to prepare myself for the cold weather.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Washington DC Jan 2013 - presidential inauguration

Amtrak (see my earlier posting) has come to its senses! Fares over the Inauguration - between NY-DC-NY - have come down to what they should be: $49.

Edited: 2:32 pm, December 27, 2012
9. Re: Washington DC Jan 2013 - presidential inauguration

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 29, 2013