We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to Washington D.C.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip to Washington D.C.

Hi, we are a family of five that will be taking a tour of the White House on October 27th. The trip is for my son's 11th Birthday, and he loves all thing History, so we will be true tourists, as none of us have ever been to Washington DC.

Our White House tour is at 11 am...I'm guessing it's about an hour long? Not sure...but anyway, we won't be leaving DC until about 6 pm headed back to Philadelphia....what is there to do that is in proximity to the White House? Anymore tourist attractions, preferably free...but will be fine if admission is involved...oh and a place to eat.

Thanks in advance.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,283 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip to Washington D.C.

You've never been to DC before and you are only spending one day? So sorry to hear that. DC is worth so much more. With the security check, the White House tour takes about an hour, depending on how many questions you ask during your self-guided tour.

Several of the Smithsonian museums, all free, are not far from the White House. And the most famous monuments are close-by too. Look at the map and see for yourself. nps.gov/PWR/…NPS-Map-Washington-DC.pdf

Williamston...
Level Contributor
859 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip to Washington D.C.

Luckily there are many things relating to history within a mile or two of the White House. By the time you're done with your tour and lunch, it'll be around 1pm giving you 5 hours. It's not much time, but it should be enough for you to walk over to the Lincoln Memorial. On the way, you'll be passing by the Washington Monument, WWII memorial, Vietnam and Korean War memorials. Then head on back and visit the American History Museum. That'll probably fill the remainder of your time. Of course, there's much more to see and it'll seem so close, but the truth is there's just not enough time to fit it all in.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,194 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip to Washington D.C.

This may interest your history minded son

1. The WH tour is entirely self guided and you go through these rooms visitingdc.com/white-house/virtual-tour-whit… unless they've closed some because they need to use them (e.g., the East room, which is the most used public room of the WH)

2. There are uniformed secret service agents everywhere and we found that they love to talk if people just ask questions. They like talking about the building but also their job

3. The brochure they give you which describes the rooms is OK but not great. If you message me your personal email I will send you a doc I got, "Guide To The Public Rooms of The White House" from the WH Curator's office. I don't know why they don't put it up on their web site. It's a couple of years old but I doubt much has changed

4. You and yours may not know this but NOTHING of the interior structure that you can see is original. The entire WH was gutted during the Truman administration because it was structurally unshound -- take a look at this web site and go down to the 6th large picture from top it's of the interior of the WH during the reconstruction and note the bulldozer on the lower left!

whitehousemuseum.org/special/renovation-1948…

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip to Washington D.C.

Here is a detailed description of the MANY Smithsonian museums http://www.si.edu . They are all free of charge, and most of them are within one mile of the White House. To be precise, the ones actually closest to walk to, from the White House, are the

1) Museum of American History

2) Renwick Art Gallery

also 3) National Museum of Women in the Arts

and 4) Corcoran Gallery of Art are a very close walk from the White House, but they charge admission.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,124 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip to Washington D.C.

I was a little older than that on my first trip and was blown away by the Lincoln and Jefferson Memorials and wanted to read everything on the walls. The tour, a visit to these two monuments and maybe Air/Space is a full day. Suggest just eating at one of the food trucks or a museum cafe. Are you taking the train? Union Station has a ton of eating places, whether for dinner before catching train or even to grab a sandwich for lunch to take with you if you arrive early. You are too close to not visit more.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip to Washington D.C.

Unfortunately, yes, one day. I'm sure we will go back, but this was sort of a last minute thing we thought of to do...well, as last minute as requesting a White House tour (it took 3 weeks to get approval!) can be. So we are really trying to cram in as much as we can in the amount of time we have. Thank you for your response!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip to Washington D.C.

The food trucks sound like a good idea! I would rather grab a quick bite and keep it moving. Yes, we will sure go back again, when time permits. Thanks for the suggestions!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip to Washington D.C.

Thank you for the suggestions! I know we are so time limited, but I want him to get as much out of it, as time permits.

9. Re: Day Trip to Washington D.C.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 19, 2013